Considering upgrading from my voodoo hoodoo with £1000.

crazymac680
crazymac680 Posts: 66
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm really enjoying my stock hoodoo. But I applied for a 1000 voucher for a road bike. Now I'm considering using the voucher for a new mountain bike since I know I'll use it.
I'm thinking I'll need to get full suspension for it to be a significant upgrade?
I'm thinking a full susser would weight about 14kg like my hoodoo but a hardtail would be about 12kg at this price point.
Which bike would make me faster on my strava downhill routes?
Thanks for any advise
Daniel

Comments

• John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I wouldn't go thinking that full suspension is an upgrade over a hard tail (they are for different purposes). What sort of voucher is it? Advice on what bike for £1000 will differ depending on where the voucher can be spent.

There's only a handful of full suspension bikes that are worth getting at £1000.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which scheme?

FS is different not better to an HT, what sort of riding, what is the hoodoo not doing that you want it to do?

Depending on the bike, but the FS frame will weigh about 750g more than the HT (mine is actually only about 200g heavier than a current mid range ally frame) although for a fixed budget it will take money away from other parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's a cycle to work scheme through halfords. They say they can get me most bikes but not decathlon.
    I love my hoodoo but the money needs to be spent as I agreed to the deal.
    I had a shot of my mates full suspension bike and I was amazed easy it was to ride. It felt effortless. Not sure if it was faster though. I'm having another go this week and I'll try and beat my times.
    Considering this bike. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-650b
    The hard tail option is this. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-pro-carbon-hardtail-650b
    The trails I ride are quite varied. Fast smooth sections with some jumps. Tight sections with roots and rocks. Fast rough sections where the weather and rain has put deep ruts in the tracks
    The carbon bike is 3kg lighter than my bike and the full suspension is 0.2 lighter but should keep me peddling over the rough sections.
  • still not convinced by full sus bikes below £1k they are generally pretty compromised in terms of kit and quality, when you think of the price of shocks and forks alone :S

I have yet to see one that I'd truly recommend to a friend, though some last year deals can bring them into price. but you often cant get them with cycle schemes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Roots and rocks favour an FS if only that its less fatiguing, but also that the rear wheel will stay on the floor more.

As a comparison with the Boardmans what FS has your friend got.

The Boardmans are perfectly competent FS bikes, although the Sektor is the weak(ish) link in the spec.

Not sure if Halfords allow topping up over the £1K so that HT may not be available to you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think I'm just going to stick with the hardtails. I can get a much lighter bike for the cash.
    I'm sure the full suspension bike would be more comfortable but I want to maximise my speed not be comfortable :)
    I spoke to one of the best riders up here today. He recommended the hardtail. Said it's the man on the bike that mattered but then he told me he rides full suspension and it only weighs 9kg!
  • Yeah they do allow topping up. My mates bike is a kona. I'll try and find the model.
  • It was a kona abbracadabra
  • I think I'm just going to stick with the hardtails. I can get a much lighter bike for the cash.
    I'm sure the full suspension bike would be more comfortable but I want to maximise my speed not be comfortable :)
    I spoke to one of the best riders up here today. He recommended the hardtail. Said it's the man on the bike that mattered but then he told me he rides full suspension and it only weighs 9kg!

Suspension is not about comfort, though it is a side effect, its about increased traction!
  • I get that. I'm just not sure my tracks are rough enough to get the full benighted benefit of full suspension. We have the some rocks and roots but never ten on a row to bounce off like a rock garden.
    Thanks.
    Keto the ideas coming. I'm sure I can be convinced either way.
  • The others are right, you probably won't see much benefit from a £1k FS over either your Voodoo, or an alternative HT at a similar price.

However, it depends what you intend to do wkth your Voodoo. You could either keep it, use for more reglar riding, keep the FS for gnarlier (or longer) rides ... or you could sell the Hoodoo, and put the money towards upgrading whatever £1k FS you purchase. This would give you a few £hundred to put towards either a better fork or some lighter wheels.

That said, as its on a cycle to work scheme, you don't technically own the bike until the final payment / transfer of ownership, so there is some risk there ...
  • I had a go on my mates kona cadabra FS tonight. I've come to the conclusion that our local tracks aren't hard core enough to need FS. I must say I enjoy riding my HT far more. I felt like the FS steering was less responsive and the wheels kept slipping out on me while leaning into corners. I realise this must be due to the geometry of the frame and the tyres.
    So whichever hard tail I go for I'd like a similar geometry as my hoodoo. Lol maybe I should just keep her and get a road bike.
  • Yeah they do allow topping up.

C2W doen't allow it, some members of staff at Halfords mights so beware
  • I just read my terms and conditions. It does say I can't top up but last year I had to top up about £100 for accessories so it can be done.
    It's there any hard tail that can compete with the boardman pro carbon at £1200? For weight and spec?
    Thanks
  • I had a go on my mates kona cadabra FS tonight. I've come to the conclusion that our local tracks aren't hard core enough to need FS. I must say I enjoy riding my HT far more. I felt like the FS steering was less responsive and the wheels kept slipping out on me while leaning into corners. I realise this must be due to the geometry of the frame and the tyres.
    So whichever hard tail I go for I'd like a similar geometry as my hoodoo. Lol maybe I should just keep her and get a road bike.

Sounds more like the bike and tyre combo than the sus, good full sus should slip out less! as the tyres are in contact with the ground better.