Normal behavior for a Monarch RL?

mattham
mattham Posts: 75
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

I have a 2014 Whyte T129 that has a Monarch RL as the rear shock.

I was running at 25% sag at about 100psi but wasn't getting much more than 35% travel.

I did some research that suggested taking some of the red rubber band spacer things out to improve its performance in the application of the Whyte's suspension.

I have done that by removing 2 of the 5 spacers, but have noticed a couple of things that I'm not sure are normal.

First, the lockout seems to be no longer functioning. I can't be sure that this is a direct result as I don't always use the lockout so am not certain that it wasn't like that before - would removing some of the spacers affect the lockout? Is there anything I can try to be sure if its working or not? If its not working, will it affect the rest of the shock in normal operation? Is it easy to fix?

Also, the pressure needed to hit 25% sag has increased from 100 to 150psi - does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for any answers and advice....

Ta
Matt

Comments

• 100psi sounds very low, unless you're extremely light.
    It sounds like the lock might be stuck on, it will allow some movement in the shock, it won't lock it rigid. It's unlikely to be under warranty now but worth checking just in case.
    How long has it been like this? Has it ever worked correctly?
  • Hi RM

It definitely used to lock out when I first got it, it was August last year so yea, I guess out of warranty.

I found this on an MBR review and several other references to the same thing and it sounded exactly like the issue I was having:

But the shock proved tricky. Even running 30 per cent sag we were unable to get full travel. Whyte’s designer, Ian Alexander, suggested we try removing some of the volume spacers from the shock to make it less progressive, so that’s what we did
    Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/120mm-140mm-full-sus/whyte-t129-review#VOGg3hGFtR7kGfpY.99

I'm 13st, so not light, but not that heavy either, checking back through my records it was about 125psi for 30% sag previously....

As to whether it ever worked, to be honest this is my first FS so it was just a revelation to have any rear suspension, but I do believe it was working previously.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • When I had a Monarch I used to run 280psi and I'm not that much heavier than you.
    Rockshox have a two year warranty. Take it to the shop you got the bike from
  • When I had a Monarch I used to run 280psi and I'm not that much heavier than you.

Thanks RM, that's interesting the amount of pressure you used, I will speak to the shop tomorrow.

Be great if anyone with a T129 or a variant with a RS shock could comment on their settings - obviously rider specific, but if someone 14st uses 250 psi or something, I could probably make some assumptions about it!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    When I had a Monarch I used to run 280psi and I'm not that much heavier than you.

Thanks RM, that's interesting the amount of pressure you used, I will speak to the shop tomorrow.

Be great if anyone with a T129 or a variant with a RS shock could comment on their settings - obviously rider specific, but if someone 14st uses 250 psi or something, I could probably make some assumptions about it!
    I've got a RS Monarch on my 2013 Camber, not sure if it's the same as yours, I use around 250psi and I'm 14 stone - I never got on with setting sag, just set it so I get full travel without bottoming out on the big stuff, works fine for me, although not the right way to do it apparently.

I'll try and get some readings for you, (sag, pressure) may be a day or 2
  • Im 12st and run my Monarch at around 100psi (not removed any of the red band thingy's) on my Whyte 129-S

The lockout doesnt completely lock the shock, it will still travel a little if compressed, just firms it up for me.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Only getting 35% of the travel sounds like a blocked negative transfer port to me. You should be able to get 75% of travel no matter how progressive the shock is.

150 PSI+ is totally normal for 25% sag

monarchs don't much like running at 25% - 30% gives much better results I have found.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    When I had a Monarch I used to run 280psi and I'm not that much heavier than you.

I've got a RS Monarch on my 2013 Camber, not sure if it's the same as yours, I use around 250psi and I'm 14 stone - I never got on with setting sag, just set it so I get full travel without bottoming out on the big stuff, works fine for me, although not the right way to do it apparently.

I'll try and get some readings for you, (sag, pressure) may be a day or 2

Ignore my bit about pressure, not 100% sure now but I measured sag this morning, 18mm and 58mm travel = 30%
    Again, my lock out only firms the shock up but works enough to make a big difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget the pressure depends on the leverage ratio of the bike, my shock runs at 100psi through a 2:1 leverage ratio (50mm shock travel, 100mm wheel travel), a longer travel bike using the same shock would be running 2.5 or even 3:1).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.