Replacement HRM strap for my Bryton Rider 50

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
After several years of Stirling service, I've managed to snap one of the press stud type fixings between the HRM transmitter and the strap. Looking online, Bryton replacements don't seem to be too abundant. Has anyone managed to successfully pair HRM chest straps from other brands (Garmin, Suunto, Polar, etc) via ANT+ with their Bryton 50 device?

Alternatively, does anyone know where you can pick up Bryton spares? I only need the strap as the transmitter is still good (it's the one with the two press stud fixings).

cheers

image.jpg1_zpsva6rmqcx.jpg
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I'm running the Garmin HRM on a Polar strap, works fine and only about £12.50 on eBay.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It's a generic strap - there's loads of them on ebay and amazon starting at about £4
  • The unit looks suspiciously like the much cheaper version from Decathlon if you did end up getting a whole new one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-coded-digital-chest-strap-id_8321463.html
  • luv2ride
    The unit looks suspiciously like the much cheaper version from Decathlon if you did end up getting a whole new one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-coded-digital-chest-strap-id_8321463.html

Yes, I think so (thanks!) - even the fastening clasp is the same. Think I'll go for that as I've found the original very comfy and reliable, more so than a previous CatEye one I'd had. cheers.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Did you read my post? Why would you spend £28 on that when you have a working transmitter and could just replace the strap for £5?
  • luv2ride
    Did you read my post? Why would you spend £28 on that when you have a working transmitter and could just replace the strap for £5?

Don't worry, ended up buying strap only for under £5 off of the 'bay as you suggested. The measurement of the terminal points seem to match the terminals on my Bryton transmitter (4.5cm ctc). Hopefully it'll work ok....
  • luv2ride
    edited September 2015
    Great. HRM strap turned up from eBay but doesn't fit the press studs on the Bryton transmitter (seems to be a few mm out ctc) :roll:

I'd suggest others beware of eBay if they try the same route, and save themselves a fiver...

Any other suggestions for a cheap ANT or ANT+ strap and transmitter?
  • luv2ride
    Thanks freezing77. Ironically, that comes with exactly the same strap as arrived today from eBay. Looks like for only a tenner more than I paid for the strap I could have got the whole unit. thanks for the link.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    You can get press studs from a haberdashers. Get some that fit and move it along by an inch so one of the new studs is between the two originals and fit the other to match the sensor. Job done for a few pence!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• You can get press studs from a haberdashers. Get some that fit and move it along by an inch so one of the new studs is between the two originals and fit the other to match the sensor. Job done for a few pence!

Not too sure that will work as the studs need to be connected to the sensing pads/electrodes on the strap to complete the electrical circuit.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    You can get press studs from a haberdashers. Get some that fit and move it along by an inch so one of the new studs is between the two originals and fit the other to match the sensor. Job done for a few pence!

Not too sure that will work as the studs need to be connected to the sensing pads/electrodes on the strap to complete the electrical circuit.

I thought the rear of the studs was just for electrical contact with the skin - which normal studs would. However, looking online you won't get a lot of change from what it costs for one of the cheaper replacement straps anyway if you have to buy the studs etc. As I've got lots of these things lying about I'd give it a go myself if I had to.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Thread resurection:

My HRM Strap suffered the same fate recently. What did you replace yours with? Can I just buy anything that's ANT compatible?

Cheers
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Thread resurection:

My HRM Strap suffered the same fate recently. What did you replace yours with? Can I just buy anything that's ANT compatible?

Cheers

My Bryton strap packed in last year. Replaced with a cheap Polar strap off ebay, but it needed some "modifications" to get the HRM to fit- the plastic cutting back from the stud holes.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Thanks. Is the Decathlon strap any good?
    I might scour ebay myselft. Either that or try to repair the broken one. But I think it's a lost cause.

Cheers!
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's never failed me. (works with Garmin 800 and Garmin Forerunner 610)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris