crank brothers xd hub will not come off

necromunger
necromunger Posts: 105
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
my hub has failed as the cassette wobbles around on it so bought a new 1 just now i can not get the old 1 off.

instructions say it should slide off but it will not move at all and like its locked in place.

any ideas as never done this stuff b4

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can need a pull, mine (Novatech) is very stiff, I either tap the axle through to loosen it, or (on mine) put the cassette lock ring on and the axle end cap acts like a self extracting crank bolt and pulls the freehub off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks but have tried pulling it of with the cassette on it and still will not come off like its bent in side the wheel.

its 20 quid for a hub service think ill just take it over on monday and have them have a look at it.

my bike is 21 kg and electric bosch motor
  • Holy crap, thats a bit of a tank. Crank Bros kit isn't particularly good on normal bikes but with an electric motor it's going to be even more fragile.
    I would suggest ditching the motor and getting some better wheels.
  • DSC_0221_1.jpg

cant get rid of motor lol
  • That thing is hideous. I can't believe it's 5kg heavier than my downhill bike!
    I really don't understand why anyone would want one of them. It's twice the weight of a proper mountain bike yet still using mountain bike brakes, tyres, wheels and suspension and you're missing out on the whole point of cycling.
  • its pedal assist has no throttle on it so still have to put effort in to go fast.

no 1 on a race bike can over take me on it got no chance ;)
  • I can guarantee you won't go down a hill as fast with all that bulk. I certainly wouldn't want to pedal that thing when the battery goes dead!
    I still don't see the appeal. Where's the sense of achievement from getting up a big climb when you have used a motor to do half the work? Plus you can't race on it and some of the better trails are starting to ban e-bikes so you can't ride some of the best trails anyway.
  • i been down hill over 50 mph not sure i want to go faster than that tbh.

and its knackered the hub in just 900 miles.

and yes its a pits riding it no power :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CB wheels would be the last choice I'd make for a bike like that, you want tough wheels. Hope and flows would be high on the list.

I get RM's point, on anything but a fire road it's probably slower than a conventional bike, no wonder you are being dropped, but at the end of the day it's your choice, I trust you aren't riding it on the road illegally?

Get the CB serviced, sell them and fitting something beefier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I can easily get over 50mph on fire roads down hill but that's no fun at all. The real fun is where the trails get twisty, rooty, rocky and with nice big jumps.
    Crank Bros hubs are known for being fragile and crap on a normal, human powered bicycle half the weight of yours. Fix the wheel and sell it. Replace it with something a lot tougher, I'm not sure Hope Hubs would be up to the job either. The problem is that bicycle hubs are designed to last with the power of a fit human, not a human and a high torque electric motor.
  • got any links for better stronger wheels for it as might have to fix and get rid of the cb ones.

problem is as its so heavy i cant flick it round sharp bends or hop back on line with it down hill if that make sense bit of a hand full tbh, tho i win going up the hills :) and not be knackered why i got it x country its fine.

also my knees are kaput cant even do 5 miles on normal bike these days ;(
  • I still don't see the appeal. Where's the sense of achievement from getting up a big climb when you have used a motor to do half the work? Plus you can't race on it and some of the better trails are starting to ban e-bikes so you can't ride some of the best trails anyway.

I sort of agree, but...

On our third loop of the Verderers' trail on Friday (my crash was on the second loop), late in the day, my friend and I were overtaken on a climb by a guy pelting along on an e-bike and both of us went "Mmm... perhaps it would be good to have one of those in the van for that 'one more go' when the head wants another go but the legs want to go home."
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • had 2 out of 5 batt bars left after this ride

20150818_1901031.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Must annoy the Stravassholes a bit, but surely you should be getting KOM uphill?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Must annoy the Stravassholes

There's the up side to e-bike.
  • but surely you should be getting KOM uphill?

He's probably not the only one on an e-bike...
  • i am going to get a custom dongle for it so top speed will then be 75kph on flat

tho be lucky to get 10 miles out of the batt at those speeds and also need a 22t sprocket on the front as 16t on it atm get it to 33mph

just hope my wheel can get sorted tomorrow
  • i am going to get a custom dongle for it so top speed will then be 75kph on flat

tho be lucky to get 10 miles out of the batt at those speeds and also need a 22t sprocket on the front as 16t on it atm get it to 33mph

Why didn't you just buy a motorbike?
  • no tax no insurance no licence and 6p to charge it up.

tho mtb bike insurance is more than my mums car at 45 quid a month pfff :shock:
  • no tax no insurance no licence and 6p to charge it up.

tho mtb bike insurance is more than my mums car at 45 quid a month pfff :shock:

You're paying £45 a month insurance on a mountain bike?! Are you bonkers?
  • no im not paying that not that nuts lol
  • I pay £12 a month to cover three bikes for between £2800 and £3500 each.

And you expect a bicycle hub to last more than two minutes?
    I wouldn't expect the wheels, transmission, brakes or tyres to last long either. None of it is designed to be motorised and it's all been engineered down to the absolute minimum for light weight.
    E-bikes are basically just a half arsed bodge using parts available rather than parts designed specifically for the purpose.
  • yeah it eats brake pads rear tyres chains and sprockets :(
  • Not surprising, none of it was designed for this purpose.
  • bike shop managed to take it off well 3 of us a fkn hour and every tool in the shop as had to lever it off bit by bit right pita.

new 1 on and working fine so far ;)
  • Looks completely screwed. I would sell the wheels asap. Try some Superstar wheels but with their steel freehub body and swap the bearings for some quality Koyo stainless bearings.