Bird Aeris Build

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited September 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Been looking forward to getting for a while now and has happy to go and collect this morning.

p4pb12648444.jpg

p4pb12648453.jpg

p4pb12648454.jpg

p4pb12648455.jpg

p4pb12648459.jpg

Currently running an Atlas bar as waiting on stock for SIXC bars and using the Monarch Plus from the Nomad until I've made a decision on what rear shock to run. Pike ar 150mm up front and running 140mm option on the rear.

Those with keen eyes may notice a SRAM cassette with the XT 11 speed which is a bit of an experiment and appears to shift better then the stock XT cassette bizarrely plus there is a decent weight saving and visually it looks miles better on the bike with the black finish.

The Rims are also a bit of a try out and are silly light for a 30mm. Final wheel weight came in at 1360g with DT 350 huns which aren't a bad weight but by no means super light. The finish on the rims is very good and could put some expensive alternatives to shame.

Will get graphics coloured at some point for fork, shocks and possible rims.

Riding position feels good and front feels easy to pop up despite the extra length. Maiden voyage in the morning.
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Looks awesome.. What size frame is it? Looks quite small..?
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Medium.
  • Final spec:

Frame: Bird Zero Medium, Invisiframe protection
    Fork: Rock Shox Pike Solo RCT3 150mm
    Shock: Rockshox Monarch Debonair Plus RC3
    Rims: Super Light Carbon 30mm Hookless
    Hubs: DTSwiss 340, 15mm front, 12/142mm rear
    Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF front, DHR2 rear, 2.3 3C
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Stem: RaceFace Atlas 35mm, 35mm clamp
    Handlebar: RaceFace SIXC cut to 750mm
    Grips: Santa Cruz Palmdale
    Crankset: RaceFace Next 170mm Cranks with Cinch 36t ring
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT 11 Speed
    Cassette: SRAM X1 11 Speed, 10-42t
    Chain: SRAM 11 Speed
    Shifter: Shimano XT 11 Speed
    Brakes: Shimano XT M8000, 180mm front, 160mm Rear
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm Drop
    Saddle: Bontrager Evoke Carbon
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    Let us know how the first ride went. Looks really smart that.
  • Didn't get out for long enough today due to riding partner running late so had to keep to a short 14 mile local loop to work out initial suspension set up. No much tweaking required; dropped stem down by 5mm, took out some LSC in the fork and added a few clicks of rebound into the shock.

Initial impressions are that it's a very comfortable riding position for me and pedals really well. The bars are a touch wider than I'm used to at 780mm but by the end of the ride I had got used to them. I will still cut my SIXC bars down to 750mm when they arrive though as things can get a little narrow on the trail at times but a bit more time on them may change my mind.

I guess the main aspect of the bike I was keen to test out was how the longer reach and short stem combination would affect weighting the bike more over the front when cornering which is something I have to make more of an effort to do when riding the Nomad. However no such issue here with ample front end grip on tap in a more neutral body position making it easier to ride a little more relxed if desired. Don't be fooled though as you can also really make the bike shift if you push it with it being easy pump, pop, and manual if you want it. Perhaps wider bars may stay after all.

It climbs surprisingly well, even with the shock wide open, with plenty of rear traction and no issue of the front end feeling light on the steeper ascents despite the 35mm stem. I'm running 8 bands in the shock which would also go some way to help with the extra support.

The XT with SRAM cassette was smooth and flawless and the XT brakes are just starting to bed in and feel almost identical to my XTR. In terms of performance I would say there's little between XT and XTR now with weight and cosmetics being the only difference. I think the XT levers look better but the XTR rear mech is a work or art.

So overall all positive things on the short time spent so a few weeks more varied riding should give a better idea and feel for it.
  • Lovely!
    How do you find the medium?
    I'm 5'10" and not sure what frame size to go for.
  • John Wh
    Sounds like it's made a good first impression. I'm looking at the 35mm SixC bars and was worried that 800mm maybe too wide (I run 760mm at moment).

On my old Voodoo, I went from the stock bars and stem to a 50mm stem and 760mm bars and it felt like a new bike, so much more controlled. I'd give the wide bars a chance :)
  • Lovely!
    I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam and find it fits really well with the saddle bang in the middle of the rails. Probably could have managed a large but the medium feels right to me. If you stick to a wide bar like 780mm then a medium should be good unless you have a long torso.

They recommend Medium up to 5'10" and feel if you do more bike part riding where you can use berms to maintain speed the a large is good otherwise more natural trail riding would find a medium to be more manageable.
  • Sounds like it's made a good first impression. I'm looking at the 35mm SixC bars and was worried that 800mm maybe too wide (I run 760mm at moment).

On my old Voodoo, I went from the stock bars and stem to a 50mm stem and 760mm bars and it felt like a new bike, so much more controlled. I'd give the wide bars a chance :)
    I usually run 750mm bars with a 50mm stem or 720mm bars on a Hardtail so using the donor 780mm bars is a bit wider than I would normally go for but it seems to be good with the 35mm stem. Will see how I feel once the SIXC bars are available and whether I cut them down or leave them 'as is'.

The SIXC now come as 780mm wide as standard.
  • John Wh
    Sounds like it's made a good first impression. I'm looking at the 35mm SixC bars and was worried that 800mm maybe too wide (I run 760mm at moment).

I usually run 750mm bars with a 50mm stem or 720mm bars on a Hardtail so using the donor 780mm bars is a bit wider than I would normally go for but it seems to be good with the 35mm stem. Will see how I feel once the SIXC bars are available and whether I cut them down or leave them 'as is'.

Is the 780mm SIXC available on the 35mm versions too now? That sounds more like my cup of tea to be honest. Damn these nice bikes. I've only had the Stumpy for nearly 3 months and I'm constantly browsing for the next one!
  • Sounds like it's made a good first impression. I'm looking at the 35mm SixC bars and was worried that 800mm maybe too wide (I run 760mm at moment).

Is the 780mm SIXC available on the 35mm versions too now? That sounds more like my cup of tea to be honest. Damn these nice bikes. I've only had the Stumpy for nearly 3 months and I'm constantly browsing for the next one!
    Apparently although I still see them at 800mm online. It could be an OE option as opposed to retail.
  • John Wh
    Yeah, maybe. Anyway, get some muddy pics up after (or during) the next ride :)
  • Lovely!
    I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam and find it fits really well with the saddle bang in the middle of the rails. Probably could have managed a large but the medium feels right to me. If you stick to a wide bar like 780mm then a medium should be good unless you have a long torso.

They recommend Medium up to 5'10" and feel if you do more bike part riding where you can use berms to maintain speed the a large is good otherwise more natural trail riding would find a medium to be more manageable.

Thanks for the reply.
    When I spoke to Dave at Bird he said a Medium - and sizing it up against my current bike the ETT & reach are longer, so Medium would probably be right.

Have you ridden it much more yet?
    How's the climbing capability?

Thanks
  • Lovely!

Thanks for the reply.
    When I spoke to Dave at Bird he said a Medium - and sizing it up against my current bike the ETT & reach are longer, so Medium would probably be right.

Have you ridden it much more yet?
    How's the climbing capability?

Thanks
    With the stock 35mm stem it's not the noticeable. All I would say is that for descending you really need a dropper to put you in the right place on the bike.

Had a few rides on it now and really enjoying it. Took a couple to adjust to the difference in travel having exclusively ridden my Nomad for the last 5 months on some of the more rowdy and rooty trails but was just a case of leaving the brakes open and trusting the bike. The faster you go, the better it gets. I'm enjoying the wider bar as well.

Climbs pretty well, not XC, but not exactly hard work either and no issues with front wheel lift where it gets steeper. Popping extra bands in the shock helps for a better platform and support from the Monarch Plus shock. Some faster rolling tyres and it would make a fair difference.