Eroica 2016

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,042
Has anyone got any tips for entering this event? Approx date when registrations will open etc? In previous years it seems to be booked up in hours but the registration process was more complex in 2015.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• These days the Eroica in Tuscany is largely oversubscribed. It's also very expensive to stay in the area during that period... to the point that you might be able to do the Eroica California for the same money...

Regirstration for the ballot typically opens in February... widely advertised on the website
    left the forum March 2023
  • davidof
    These days the Eroica in Tuscany is largely oversubscribed. It's also very expensive to stay in the area during that period... to the point that you might be able to do the Eroica California for the same money...

Regirstration for the ballot typically opens in February... widely advertised on the website

Ok well I'll see what happens. I would drive there as it is not too far so could probably sort accommodation okay.

Going to California doesn't feel me with a lot of enthusiasm to be honest :-).
    Instagramme

• Going to California doesn't feel me with a lot of enthusiasm to be honest :-).

Typical French... :wink:

I am a snobby Italian, but California is a beautiful land, quite possibly the most beautiful, if you factor in you have the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the forests and even a volcano! Can't think of another similarly sized place that has it all... and the Eroica is set around Paso Robles, a vine growing region of rolling hills
  • davidof

I am a snobby Italian, but California is a beautiful land, quite possibly the most beautiful, if you factor in you have the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the forests and even a volcano! Can't think of another similarly sized place that has it all... and the Eroica is set around Paso Robles, a vine growing region of rolling hills

But it is not Italy. It would be like if they started the TdF in Yorkshire or some-such.

Going anywhere near airports for enjoyment is not something I do these days. I have visited California. The valley is pretty crap and I didn't have time to go north which looks really nice but up around the Merced seemed pleasant... but I was up above Modane the other day and remarked to the wife that it was just like the drive up the Merced.
    Instagramme
  • I am all for the real thing and I have done the Eroica 3 times, but in the days when it wasn't such a snobbish event. Now they rip you off every step of the way.
    In 2006 it was a 500 people event and we rented a villa for the weekend for not much money, now it's a 5000 people event and you would hardly be able to get a bed in the worst B&B in the area at 10 miles from Gaiole for 150 a night.

By the time you know about the outcome of the draw, most of the accomodation within cycling distance is gone...

It's just gone too big
  • L'Eroica Britannia perhaps? Bakewell and the Derbyshire Peak District is lovely and it's truly a very nice event with lots going on in the showground in Bakewell (outdoor cinema with cyling flicks; talks by cyclists and cycling authors ; live music; loads of bike stuff for sale..etc). I've done it for two years now and I know speaking with enthusiasts who go to the Italian, Californian and Spanish one, that they are so much more impressed by the English one (even though it's so new still). Just a thought.