2013 Giant S-R2 wheels and 11-speed upgrade

juanerasmoe
juanerasmoe Posts: 91
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have a Giant defy 3 and I'm thinking about upgrading the 9-speed sora group set to a 11-speed 105 5800.
Has anyone here done this with a 2013 defy?
One of my main questions is if I'll have to upgrade my wheels as well or if the S-R2 wheels are compatible with an 11-speed cassette.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    You will be able to swop to the 11sp 5800 105 groupset, remember to specify the correct type HTII Bottom Bracket for your frame if it has a threaded BB, however I think you will need a new rear wheel with a 11sp compatible Shimano freehub. I think the 2013 Giant rear wheels where only 8/9/10sp compatible.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have a 2013 Defy Composite with PSL 1 wheels and the LBS just changed the free hub to make it 11sp compatible.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I didn't really rate the stock Giant wheels on my Defy 2 (2012); they were heavy and flexy. I would suggest that wheels might be a worthwhile upgrade anyway. Even some pretty cheap factory wheels (Fulcrum 5s or the Campag equivalent) would be an improvement IMO.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    My LBS has some great deals on any of the 2016 Giant wheel systems.

Are you looking to go lighter, more aero, carbon?
  • My LBS has some great deals on any of the 2016 Giant wheel systems.

Are you looking to go lighter, more aero, carbon?

I'm looking to have 11-speed compatibility. Some months ago my front wheel got nicked and I replaced it with a Mavic Aksium Elite, so I might complete the set and replace the S-R2 rear wheel with the matching Mavic Aksyum Elite for 99 pounds.