Seating stubborn road tubeless...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited September 2015 in Workshop
I've had good success with other tubeless tyres (Schwalbe Ones, Hutchinson Atom Galactik) but these Hutchinson Intensives are just point-blank *refusing* to inflate first time, even with a CO2 pump (without sealant). I tried with sealant and track pump to no avail.

Removed and refitted a couple of times, soapy water on beads, immersed tyre in hot water, cleaned rims, prayed, swore; you name it I've done a few thing to try and help but it's just not having it.

Any further suggestions?? It's on Velocity A23 rims, for reference, which had the Atoms on before. Would inflating an inner tube inside (if I can get one in!) help any in anyone's experience?

Comments

• If you have access to a high volume air compressor preferably with a pressure regulator so as not to accidently blow the tire off try giving it a good blast of air.
  • If you have access to a high volume air compressor

...sounds like a good plan. Sadly I don't have access to one though!
  • Have you tried with the valve removed from the stem? Sometimes the valve is enough to reduce the airflow and cause the problem.
  • Not sure I understand what you mean. It does *sound* like the air is coming out of where the valve is but the bead (as far as I can tell) is down to the sides of the valve and not fouling it and it might just be that that's where the air is going in therefore that's where the air is getting out? I don't know. I did read a suggestion to unscrew the valve a bit and pop it into the body of the tyre to make doubly sure the tyre isn't snagging on it then tighten back up again, is that what you mean?
  • Not sure I understand what you mean. It does *sound* like the air is coming out of where the valve is but the bead (as far as I can tell) is down to the sides of the valve and not fouling it and it might just be that that's where the air is going in therefore that's where the air is getting out? I don't know. I did read a suggestion to unscrew the valve a bit and pop it into the body of the tyre to make doubly sure the tyre isn't snagging on it then tighten back up again, is that what you mean?

What he means is to unscrew the valve top and inflate the stem... the air volume you pump should increase significantly
    left the forum March 2023
  • If you mean remove the valve core and pump then I did try that (and have done again). If it's a "volume of air" issue then it may be because I'm using a fangled "MilkIt" valve which has a diaphragm type thing at the outlet inside the rim which will hinder the airflow into the tyre. To be honest I'm not that impressed with it so will fit a Stans valve back in and try that.

(The MilkIt thing is supposed to allow you to remove the sealant from the tyre without fully deflating it. In my experience it doesn't work and is too fragile... Can provide a link if anyone is interested after that glowing review!!)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try fitting a tube in the tyre to seat the bead - inflate the tyre until the bead 'snaps' in position - deflate the inner and squeeze the tyre to see if the bead stays put - if it's loose, then try another wrap of tape. Worth leaving the tyre with tube inflated for a day or two to help smooth-out any kinks in the bead. Expecting a tyre to seal first time without sealant is pretty optimistic.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nigh on impossible to get a tube into these tyres (I just tried) without pinching them and CBA to try again. Will try some Stans valves (they're on order) and see how that goes.
    Expecting a tyre to seal first time without sealant is pretty optimistic.

I'm not expecting it to seal first time. I am expecting it to seat however...
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    If you don't want to go to the expense of buying a compressor, you could try this...

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

I've been messing around with ordinary road tyres run tubeless and a compressor makes inflating/seating tyres so much easier. If you do maintain you're own bikes giving parts a quick blast of air makes assembly more accurate and quicker. I paid £65 for a Screwfix 12l model.
  • Interesting, thanks 6wheels. That ghetto compressor looks so crazy I almost need to do it!! Cheers.
  • I've not had any problems fitting Intensives onto true Road Tubeless wheels and inflating with a track pump. Shimano RS61 in my case, for all-year round 'cos they're cheap (£130 at Ribble a couple of weeks ago), tubeless certified and last well enough. But I would agree that Intensives are a pain on non-tubeless rims; I had to use a compressor on my converted OpenPros and they still took a couple of attempts.

I Googled Velocity A23 rims and the profile doesn't seem to have the little ridges of Road Tubeless to hold the tyre bead in place. So likely to be as much trouble as OpenPros.

Intensives are, despite the writing on the sidewall, only tubless-ready and go down overnight without sealant. However I would recommend you don't add sealant until the bead is seated 'cos it only makes it harder (and messier).
  • Velocity A23 tubeless rims are tubeless rims ;-)
  • Velocity A23 tubeless rims are tubeless rims ;-)
    Ok, but the profile I found http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622 , doesn't show the bead retaining ribs found on true Road Tubeless rims like DuraAce http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/06/DSC05769.jpeg (RS61 is the same) or Easton EA90 http://interbike.roadbikereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Easton-EA90-RT-2.jpg. And it's full of holes so I wouldn't class it as any more tubeless than an OpenPro, just a bit wider.
    Each to his own. Just sympathising with you on fitting Intensives. They're far from perfect but tough and hard wearing so once you do get them on they're there until the rim wears out.
  • Have ordered an "Airshot" tubeless compressor wotsit. I did try (halfheartedly perhaps) the ghetto route but just wasn't having it, ditto managed to get tube in there and left it inflated for 24 hours. Made not a jot of difference.

Will report back on my progress with the Airshot ;-)
  • Airshot worked a treat. I did have to put another wrap of tape on one of the wheels however (as I think someone suggested) mainly because the previous stuff had sunk into the well and the rim profile was hindering the tyre bead finding its way to the rim (these are pretty sturdy tyres!).

One thing that didn't occur to me was that Airshot isn't the end of the matter, after using it and getting the seating done I had to them pump further with the trackpump to get up to operational pressures only then did stubborn sections of the bead actually ping into place.

Good bit of kit though, pricey obviously but it'll be well used over the years I reckon.

Held air without any sealant too, so I guess they are tubeless rims after all ;-)