Coast to Coast mtb

rubyhorse2
rubyhorse2 Posts: 23
edited November 2015 in Holidays
Well got back from 4 days riding the C2C so thought i'd do a little write up for anyone interested.

One of my mates planned the route and it was initially going to be mostly off road riding, this would soon change as it rained for several days before we set off and on the Friday morning it was torrential rain as we drove to St Bees.

On arrival it actually stopped raining and we got the bikes and ourselves ready and did the obligatory dipping of the wheels in the sea.

Day 1 - St Bees to Keswick

First day and we were full of beans and ready for anything, that was until we ended up pushing for over 4 hours across bogs and moorland, which simply was un-ridable with several amusing crashes, this dropped us into Buttermere where we sat and had a pint contemplating what to do next. We then had an epic ride up some crazy road out of buttermere and another few hours ride to Keswick.

Day 2 - Keswick to Kirkby Stephen

After the first days ride from hell it was decided we should stick to the C2C cycle route. sun was out and we had a great days ride stopping in Penrith for lunch.

Day 3 - Kirkby Stephen to Osmotherley

Another sunny day and some amazing roads to the highest inn in the UK (need to ride these on the motorbike soon), followed by some epic downs. Long days ride but all good fun.

Day 4 - Osmotherley - Robins Hoods Bay

The rain came for day 4, constant all day. managed to take a wrong turn simply due to being fed up with the weather and not wanting to check maps, 30 mins the wrong was not good but the crumpets and coffee at a little cafe in Swainby was all the better for it. Arrived in Robin hoods Bay at about 6 that evening for a few pints and then to our YHA in Boggle hole.

Day 5 we had to ride about 20 miles to pick up a hire van from scarborough.

Really enjoyed it, though we didnt drink much on any of the nights as we were tired and wanted early starts the next day. If i was to do it again i'd either take an extra day or stick to the roads and use a road bike as its slow going on mtb's.

The YHA's in every place we stayed were spot on, clean, great facilities (bike storage) and cheap.

Will try and get the total mileage and GPS route linked plus some pics soon.

Comments