Non functioning lockout on Suntour XCT

Mattharrier
Mattharrier Posts: 173
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a second hand Rockrider 8.0 with a non-functioning (or seemingly so) lockout. The forks seem to work fine otherwise, and the fact that I can't lock them out isn't the end of the world, but is this something that is likely to be simple to fix? Any ideas where I should start to look?

Or should I just continue to work the fork to within an inch of its life until it fails and I buy a new one?

Comments

• depends how the lockout works - is it a cable operated type or a twist thing on top of the fork leg by hand?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Being XCT it is almost certainly a crown lever, often they get indexed wrong, turn it al the way locked, remove the lever and refitted as if it is unlocked and see if you can lock it further, repeat until it won't turn any further clockwise and then refit the lever as far round that way as it will comfortably go and it is indexed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry, yes, lever on the crown. Just pop the lever off with a flat head driver?
  • It never lasts long on these forks and doesn't work at all well when it is functioning.
  • Popped the crown off, fettled it and put the crown back on, and I now have a functioning lock out. Thanks for the help!