Carrera Kraken 2015, Are stock rims Tubeless compatible?

AmP77
AmP77 Posts: 4
edited September 2015 in Your mountain bikes
:?: I have a 2015 Kraken with "Carrera Alloy Double Wall Disc Brake Specific Rim - 32 Hole" rims and not sure if they are Tubeless tyre compatible? Can anyone help??????????????

I've got a slow puncture on the bake and the front just spontaneously deflates over the course of a week. This is all after I have just replaced the inner tube bout a month ago! Getting really pissed off having to pump the back tyre daily and the front weekly! There is a couple of gashes in the rear tyre which is 6months old! I don't want to keep pouring money into the tyres and tubes so I've decided to go Tubeless Kevlar tyres hoping to not go through this arm ache ever again.

So to do this I am not sure if I will need to buy tubeless compatible wheel-set or if the stock wheel-set will take the tubeless tyres? :?:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Stock rims are made by Formula, they are not tubeless by design, but as with all rims they can be made tubeless using the 'ghetto' Gorilla tape method.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I thought they wouldn't be tube less, thanks for the confirmation anyway. Aren't the rims made by Carrera them self as they are listed by Halfords has "Carrera Components" rims? I ended up getting the Maxxis DHR Minion II tyres and am using them with inner tubes. They are working fine but with the main draw back being the wheels have become more weighty, requiring more peddle power.

What is this 'ghetto' Gorilla tape method you mentioned?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera makes nothing the bikes are assembled by Merida and use a Merida made frame, as with many things on bikes the rims are generic parts and labelled as Carrera DDM, the same rim can be found on many Boardmans and Voodoo's (both also made by Merida) as well as other parts.

It is rare for anything but the frame to be genuinely unique to a brand.

DHR's are somewhat overkill for that bike, I can't imagine them being nice in any way shape or form!

You use gorilla tape to fill partially fill the bed in the rim and seal the spoke holes and create the inner section for the tyres once tubeless, google it, there are lots of online guides on how to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Carrera makes nothing the bikes are assembled by Merida and use a Merida made frame, as with many things on bikes the rims are generic parts and labelled as Carrera DDM, the same rim can be found on many Boardmans and Voodoo's (both also made by Merida) as well as other parts.

It is rare for anything but the frame to be genuinely unique to a brand.

DHR's are somewhat overkill for that bike, I can't imagine them being nice in any way shape or form!

You use gorilla tape to fill partially fill the bed in the rim and seal the spoke holes and create the inner section for the tyres once tubeless, google it, there are lots of online guides on how to do it.

Hopefully single-ply!!!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I knew Merida had made the frames for older Carrera models in the past but had stop making them has of the production of the T6 frame, guess I was miss informed.

The reason for my choice for DHR tyre was the robust construction, composition & compound of the tyre Maxxis uses. The reliability factor was the governing logic for the choice of this tyre at expense of the reduction in speed. Possibly over kill but maximum puncture resistance.

For the rim to be tubeless does it not require a internal arced construction for it to hold the air & tyre efficiently? Would the tape and tyre sealer be sufficient enough for the rim to be used without a inner tube?