any ideas about holding a DSLR camera with some extra lenses

Mad Darsh
Mad Darsh Posts: 29
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

i need some ideas about holding a DSLR camera "Nikon D7100" with some extra lenses and stuff
Already tried a camera back pack , but i was dying from the weight and uncomfortable hold at the long ride

so any good ideas to hold them comfortably on my bike ?

i just came across Topeak MTX Trunk Bag and Topeak QR Beam Rack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZKATYW/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g468_i1_sh

but i am thinking about this points :
- will the bag fit all my stuff , camera and lenses , etc in a correct way ?
- it will be secured enough while riding ?
besides it will coast me a lot , around $100 .. is it worth ?

help me to decide please

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    I have a Lowepro Photorunner that I use when travelling light.
    418DIxia-tL._SY300_.jpg
    It carries a Nikon DSLR with medium zoom attached, a small prime and either a long zoom or a flash.
    Filters, cards batteries etc go in the front zipped section.
    I have used it on a bike but beware that you do need the shoulder strap as the belt loosens with vibrations.
    It sits on the lower back/hips so there is no sweaty back issue.
    It is an old model so Ebay will be the only option if it ticks the boxes.

I don't know if I could trust a plastic saddle/post mount. If it is to go on the bike then I would prefer proper mounts for security. Personal opinion not based on fact.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Bar bag? Keeps it to hand and better protected from road spray than a pannier or seatpost bag.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks all dear brothers

handlebar bag is a good suggestion
    but i don't think it will work with me because i need to use some handlebar stuff like light , airzound , erobar , etc
    so i was thinking about this topeak bag and rear rack i mentioned
    anyone tested it with a camera and lenses ?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Thanks all dear brothers

but i don't think it will work with me because i need to use some handlebar stuff like light , airzound , erobar , etc
    so i was thinking about this topeak bag and rear rack i mentioned
    anyone tested it with a camera and lenses ?

I have a Thule rack bag - which is very light and no internal sections. My camera bag fits inside the rack bag. I tend to put something else (either spare clothes or sheet of bubbles) between the bottom of the camera bag and the floor of the rack bag. The Thule bag is roll top so water-proof. But it is real rigmarole to unpack camera
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thanks all dear brothers

no you don't. :twisted:
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Thanks all dear brothers

no you don't. :twisted:

Then you don't know any thing about my country , we have a real zombies here all over the streets :mrgreen:
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    some sort of carradice seat bag and mount combo? I'm thinking of taking my mirrorless camera with me on a trip to the Lake District, will probably put it in my super c a la http://i.imgur.com/G5SXXMf.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    some sort of carradice seat bag and mount combo? I'm thinking of taking my mirrorless camera with me on a trip to the Lake District, will probably put it in my super c a la http://i.imgur.com/G5SXXMf.jpg

Might have have to bring it to a certain wedding too, depending on how cheap someone is feeling.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    I'd go bar-bag as well. I used to have one which sat at the level of the bars so didn't go above and you could still have bar lights etc.

At the moment I use the altura aero post pack, which is pretty good and carries a lot, but not sure I'd want to put anything of real value in there. https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q_vpVd7HCajo7AajtZjgDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=altura+aero+post+pack
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10

• I have a Qipi Camera Bag for my Nikon D750. It's perfect for fitting my camera and the lenses. It's a big bag. I mostly use it for events when I'm sure that I'll take pictures and I need all my equipment, like weddings, parties, or some others. As it's a big bag and you put all your equipment in it, it can take a lot of space ad be pretty heavy, so it's not a good idea to take it when traveling or where you'll take just a few pictures and you don't need all the equipment. But you need a good bag for a good camera, not all the cameras deserve a bag. If you still didn't buy yours, the reviews from https://cameravs.com/ might be helpful.
  • Mad Darsh said:

Hello all,

i need some ideas about holding a DSLR camera "Nikon D7100" with some extra lenses and stuff

Already tried a camera back pack , but i was dying from the weight

You have answered your own question there. That gear is heavy. However you carry it it will be heavy. No system will reduce the weight. That gear is not designed to be carried around on a bike all day long. And if you are that serious about your photography how are you going to carry your tripod?

Why do you need to carry all that gear on a bike? Do yourself a favour and either rely on your mobile phone's very good pictures, or get youself a small point and shoot/compact/mirrorless camera.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Mad Darsh said:

Hello all,

Already tried a camera back pack , but i was dying from the weight

You have answered your own question there. That gear is heavy. However you carry it it will be heavy. No system will reduce the weight. That gear is not designed to be carried around on a bike all day long. And if you are that serious about your photography how are you going to carry your tripod?

Why do you need to carry all that gear on a bike? Do yourself a favour and either rely on your mobile phone's very good pictures, or get youself a small point and shoot/compact/mirrorless camera.

I suspect that its because mobile phone, point and shoot and compact cameras are no where near as good quality and changing to a new mirrorless system could be hugely expensive!

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    The main answer is to use a couple of prime lenses, or one zoom, or take the car.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    pblakeney said:

The main answer is to use a couple of prime lenses, or one zoom, or take the car.

Nah, the real solution is a Tern GSD or a longback cargo bike.

Or, a full on bakfiets/long john with lockable box cover...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Switching to mirrorless is nonsensical in this particular case anyway. If you go full frame mirrorless, and get the equivalent lenses, these are likely to be heavier than his D7100 lenses. If the OP goes crop sensor, he's not going to gain more than, what, 250 grams for the body? Tops? Lenses are pretty much the same weight.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I would not want to carry any DSLR in a bag attached to the frame/pannier rack bag etc due to the amount of vibrations that would be transmitted to the camera internals by being on a bike. If our roads can make bottle cage bolts come loose I dread to think what they would do to the delicate mirror/shutter/VR Reduction systems in cameras. Only way I'd do it would be in a backpack system so your body would absorb most of the vibrations.

Maybe the OP doesn't live in the UK (hence the $ sign) so maybe their roads are better than ours?

Yes I'm a pro photographer so I know what I'm talking about.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have sometimes thought about going on a cycling photographing jaunt with my D7100 + lenses. I haven't yet done it but if I did I concluded that I would have to be selective in what I took with me and would put it on my back. I have a couple of bags that would get me by on a shorter ride - if I was thinking of going longer I would probably look for something that carries the weight across the chest (along the lines of the Kriega backpacks).

There's no point taking every lens I own and I find that sometimes having a restricted lens selection available forces me to be clever with what pictures I take. In fact I often go out these days with nothing more than the 50mm f/1.8 on the body, old school style (well, strictly speaking the proper old school would be a 50mm-equivalent FOV, so ~35mm on the Nikon DX sensor but hey).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

I would not want to carry any DSLR in a bag attached to the frame/pannier rack bag etc due to the amount of vibrations that would be transmitted to the camera internals by being on a bike.

That was exactly my thought - attached to a pannier it will be subject to constant sharp, jarring impacts. Especially if you have kit with sensitive image stabilisation which often uses a floating sensor. IF I were to do it, I would prefer to mount it on my body with the inbuilt shock absorption that comes with that. Or take kit that I dont mind breaking...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    drhaggis said:

Switching to mirrorless is nonsensical in this particular case anyway. If you go full frame mirrorless, and get the equivalent lenses, these are likely to be heavier than his D7100 lenses. If the OP goes crop sensor, he's not going to gain more than, what, 250 grams for the body? Tops? Lenses are pretty much the same weight.

Lenses are MUCH smaller on my Panasonic 4/3rds system - I have a 200mm f2.8 and its tiny compared to my old full frame equivalent Pentax lens. Granted, the body isnt much different but the lenses are waaay different.