Raleigh Maverick Elite

drg_drg
drg_drg Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone !

I am interested in Raleigh Maverick Elite (sora setup).

I am a little bit confused about what kind of Bottom Bracket the frame uses.

Maverick Elite is listed to have RSP crankset and for BB is listed only ''sealed cartridge''.

It's superior variant, Raleigh Maverick Rival is using SRAM Rival setup.
Does anybody know if the two frames are the same? The Mav Rival, having a SRAM Rival crank is presumably a two piece type of crank that uses 30mm spindle? Hence - BB30/PF30? Am I wrong?

The thread in the BB Shell, if it's destroyed by bad mechanical skills, will pose problems on the BB selection in the long run. I don't want to over-tighten it and destroy the thread in the frame. So a PF30 BB frame would be better from consideration of maintenance in the long run?

What do you guys prefer in terms of frame selection concerning the BB type? Advice?

Does anybody know anything on Mav Elite (sora setup, RSP Crank and presumably BB) ? The Rival variant is out of my price range.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi everyone !

I am interested in Raleigh Maverick Elite (sora setup).

I am a little bit confused about what kind of Bottom Bracket the frame uses.

Maverick Elite is listed to have RSP crankset and for BB is listed only ''sealed cartridge''.

It's superior variant, Raleigh Maverick Rival is using SRAM Rival setup.
    Does anybody know if the two frames are the same? The Mav Rival, having a SRAM Rival crank is presumably a two piece type of crank that uses 30mm spindle? Hence - BB30/PF30? Am I wrong?

The thread in the BB Shell, if it's destroyed by bad mechanical skills, will pose problems on the BB selection in the long run. I don't want to over-tighten it and destroy the thread in the frame. So a PF30 BB frame would be better from consideration of maintenance in the long run?

What do you guys prefer in terms of frame selection concerning the BB type? Advice?

Does anybody know anything on Mav Elite (sora setup, RSP Crank and presumably BB) ? The Rival variant is out of my price range.

The more expensive version with SRAM Rival you refer to is the Raleigh Maverick Comp. I have found a pic of the BB on that bike and it looks to be a standard threaded external cartridge type akin to the Shimano Hollowtech II incarnations.

Raleigh%20Maverick%20Comp%20-%20Bottom%20Bracket.jpg

By deduction then I would be fairly confident that the Sora version will have the same BSA threaded bottom bracket rather than a pressfit type such as BB30/PF30.

Cannot find any info on the RSP chainset but there is a chance that is one that fits onto a square taper style BB like this

prod34652_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

hence the description as a "sealed cartridge"

Whatever is fitted to the Elite version, I'm pretty sure the frame is designed to take a BSA threaded bottom bracket and in my opinion that is a bonus.

In my years of cycling and bike building, the only time I have suffered from BB problems was with a Trek BB86 pressfit BB where one of the bearings worked loose and had to be replaced. I had a Mercian steel bike that I rode for 14 years and more than 10000 miles and the original threaded square taper BB was still going strong when I sold it.

Bit of a guide to BB's is found here

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/
  • Thank you very much, That is very neat and comprehensive reply.

I know the square taper BB types are very long lasting and possibly is a cheaper system, so that is very good.

Thank you very much !