Air Suspension Setup

davidradar
davidradar Posts: 69
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, my first go at setting up my suspension. I have watched all the videos but I have a few questions on the shock travel:

1. Specs are 2" or 51mm piston travel. Fox spec 7.6mm firm (15%) to 10.2mm plush (20%). Bike manufacturer Spec is to just set it to 10mm. OK I am fine with that and understand this. Only question about this is how do we get this adjustment exact??? Wow they spec .2 of a mm.. I can get my adjustment to 10mm but as an example I sit on the bike but this can be anywhere from 140 PSI to 160 PSI depending on how I hold my tongue at the time. It just does not seem all that precise. Could I get some input from various source on how I can get my setting accurate or am I overthinking things??

2. Answer my first question and I'm sure I'll have another :)

David
Stay positive people :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    set it with the rider in the normal standing riding (the Attack) position.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And you don't need to be that exact, it's on,y the initial setup' after that fine tune it and note the pressure which is the more relevant.

Set in the attack position in your normal riding clothes wearing any backpack you normally wear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Setting the sag is just a starting point. Set it to near enough 10mm and get out and ride, it might take you several rides before you find the perfect setting.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I set mine so that I use all as much travel as possible without bottoming out, set sag then go and jump about on it and adjust.

I know naff all about bikes really but seems to work very well.
  • I set mine so that I use all as much travel as possible without bottoming out, set sag then go and jump about on it and adjust.

Don't do this. It needs to be set on the trail, it's not just about how much travel you use. There's often a narrow band of spring setting which gives the most grip. I like to set mine using a trail with lots of roots and some high speed, rooty corners. Getting rebound speed right is important as well.
  • Other than sag, which is easy, I have absolutely no idea of where to set any of the other settings so I just leave everything in the middle.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Getting rebound right makes a huge difference to grip and jumping. Compression also has a huge effect on grip, get it set right and the tyre will be in contact with the ground more. High speed compression settings can help reduce arm pump and fatigue as well.
    The Cane Creek set up guide is really good for setting any shock or fork, it explains what you should be feeling and how to get it right.
  • Thanks to everyone for their positive advice. I gave it another go last night and am happy enough to take it out as the front seem to be close enough to 20mm and the rear is at 10mm. Still not sure about the pressure to take down as the rear looks good at 150PSI but I always have trouble finding a consistant pressure on the front. I have tried the attack position, then standing and also sitting. All vary in the PSI quite considerably..
    Stay positive people :)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I set mine so that I use all as much travel as possible without bottoming out, set sag then go and jump about on it and adjust.

Don't do this. It needs to be set on the trail, it's not just about how much travel you use. There's often a narrow band of spring setting which gives the most grip. I like to set mine using a trail with lots of roots and some high speed, rooty corners. Getting rebound speed right is important as well.

Works fine on the trail, been out for 4 hours today :D Spent a lot of time adjusting it when I first got it. If I do it any other way it either bottoms out or feels too stiff and doesn't grip well. Rebound set to just how I like it, I find changing the rebound makes quite a bit of difference, I really notice it if I accidentally move it when locking/unlocking the shock.
  • Other than sag, which is easy, I have absolutely no idea of where to set any of the other settings so I just leave everything in the middle.

Isn't it a bit pointless having a highly adjustable shock and not bothering to learn how to set it up right and get the best from it? Didn't TF tuned give you some base settings for it?

Isn't it a bit pointless having a highly adjustable shock and not bothering to learn how to set it up right and get the best from it? Didn't TF tuned give you some base settings for it?

Yes, it is pointless having all that adjustment and not using it, but it's certainly not because I can't be bothered. Trouble is, when you ask where should I set X, Y and Z, the usual answer is, no-one can tell you, you have to set it to your own riding style. And I get that. But what if you have no idea what your riding 'style' is? I have not the slightest clue what my riding style is (I'd hesitate to use the word 'style' in any sentence related to my riding!). I start at the top and finish at the bottom and wouldn't know how to describe what goes on in-between. And it doesn't help that fiddling with the settings leaves me none the wiser. Bike feels different at each extreme, but I can't honestly say I like one over the other. Bike seems to ride well no matter where I set it. But I have to assume that somewhere in the midst of all that there is an ideal setting. Buggered if I know where to find it, though. Yeah, TF set a base tune, but I assume there a better tune hiding in there somewhere. As I say, bike's riding fine, but it bothers me that it's likely to be riding as well as it might.
  • Download the Cane Creek tuning guide. Everything in the guide transfers to any fully adjustable shock. It gives a really simple step by step guide for what to feel for when you ride and what to adjust.
    You might be surprised how much better your shock could be and how much extra grip you could have.
  • Download the Cane Creek tuning guide. Everything in the guide transfers to any fully adjustable shock. It gives a really simple step by step guide for what to feel for when you ride and what to adjust.

Yeah, I'm going to give that a gander as you mentioned it above.
    You might be surprised how much better your shock could be and how much extra grip you could have.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's got more to give. Perhaps I wouldn't have had a big painful crash on the Verderers' trail yesterday but for the want of a few clicks more (or less)! :)
  • How on earth did you crash on Verderers? That must have taken quite an effort!
  • How on earth did you crash on Verderers? That must have taken quite an effort!

Oh, it's my speciality! Actually, my fault for trying to avoid a puddle. On the last but one section, the one with all the rollers (jumps for you), just at the start of the berms at the end, there was a puddle that I stupidly tried to ride around which meant I entered the first berm wrong and the second one very wrong. I plunged down into all the rocks in the bottom instead of going round the berm and that was the end of me. Or, the short version: Going too fast for my skills. Not difficult.
  • Bad times. Serves you right for dodging puddles!
    Those are rollers for me at the top, I tried doubling the last two. It hurt, a lot. Now I just pump/scrub them.
  • That's a really nice section. All the rollers are just the right size and spacing for good pumping.