BCD of specializied rockhopper.

Razor32
Razor32 Posts: 24
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys.
A first time poster here, anyway i recently startede mountain biking and will say i have fallen in love with this sport. It is a great fit for anyone no matter fitness level and skill level. Anyway i bought an entry level bike, the specialized rockhopper expert. I have been very pleased with it and i am having tons of fun. But apperently i am pushing out alot of power and might not always be shifting at the prober time as i have gone thorugh a chain, small front chain ring and my sram x5 deraiuller is struggling. So i am chaging my setup to shimanho zee and am in the process of buying the parts online as my LBS do not have the stuff. Long story short, as Specialized have realeased there 2016 models i cant find the specs for 2015 model which in the on i have. I have tried to meassure my BCD and i am 90 procent sure it is 104mm just want to know if someone actually knows for a fact before i order the stuff online.

Anyhelp appricated.
Regards

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    104mm is one standard. But it kinda fido ends on what you have fitted now.

Spesh still have last years bikes in the archive. And many years before as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have an sram crankset, not sure which one, i know not very useful. I dont really know where to look for the older models on there website?
    thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not clear whether you are planning on replacing the crankset, in which case current BCD doesn't matter, the small ring only, which will be smaller than 105, or all of the rings, in which case it does matter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Here you go: SPEC
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • No i am keeping the current crankset. I have orderede everything else and it should be here tomorrow.
    JBA. Thank you ever so much for finding that, i couldent do it apperently.
    Thanks guys
  • Why go for Shimano Zee? It's heavy duty kit designed mainly for downhill and might not have the range on the derailleur for a double or triple chainset. I would go for Deore or SLX.
    I would definitely go for Deore steel chainrings, they last loads longer than SLX or XT and cost a lot less.
  • My reason to go with the zee, is based on the way i ride my bike. I don't care much for times or strava, therefor weight is not a big issue, my self i am a big guy at 100 kg with alot of power going through the pedals (coming from explosive sports) I like to ride jumps, pump tracks and gnarly terrain. But as i am new, i will also admit to be seeking the edge of my riding, which makes me come off the bike every now and than. Therefor based on reviews the zee should be preety durable at a good price. I might be wrong though :)
  • If you like to ride that sort of stuff you got the wrong bike. It won't last too long before something breaks.
    You won't be able to run more than one chain ring with a Zee rear mech, it doesn't have enough range.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the mech is on the non pull side your weight and power is irrelevant to the mech.

The rockhopper is an XC bike and not designed for that usage, if you are pushing that much power I'm not sure how you've worn the smallest ring middle maybe, not the smallest.

It sounds like a mix of poor maintenance and lower level parts and you've worn them out, as noted Zee won't cope with more than one chainring, so if you are using the small that much it won't do it for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi guys.
    I forget to say the another reason for me picking the zee setup is that is have upgraded to a single chain (1x11) setup. from 11-40 but bought a little bit to big chainring 38T i will need to go down to 34T. But it was a blast to ride it today. Great shifting.
    I know I bought the wrong bike, but i have setup my rockhopper with a more trail feel, with dropper post, wider tyre and the single chain ring setup. I know i will evt. break something, most likely the wheels will bend.

but at the end of the day, i am having a blast and learning good technic. But one day i will most likely need somehing like a yt capra, but at the moment i am okay. Putting a reba on next month.

Thanks guys
  • Zee won't work 1x11 it's 10 speed only. I wouldn't bother with the Reba, it's quite a flexy fork, all wrong for what you're doing.
    It's your frame that's most likely to break.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you wore out a small ring by using it so much, what was the rationale behind losing it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ups my bad, i meant a 1x10 setup.

The reason i switched to a one chainring setup instead of the previous 2 is less maintanance (only 1 chainring to replace) And less of a hassle changing from the big and little chainring. All around i can only see benefits as i do not feel like i need 20 gears as the rockhopper expert came with a 2x10 setup from stock.

I was going to make a new thread asking about the fork. But I will also ask you Rockymokey, I have only read good reviews about the reba. But what would you suggest? And actually i was told the only reason the specialized is so much more expensive is due to a decent frame for an entry level bike. The actual gear is not that good.

I know at the end of the day i should get another bike. But i kinda like a bike i can climb really good on, i can bang out 50 miles but also "play" on. I am not talking about taking it to the alps, or wales. I live in Denmark and everything is preety flat.
    Thanks for your replies guys :)
  • The Reba is a very good fork but like all 100mm forks it's designed for xc riding, not downhill. The only forks which will suit your frame and take plenty of abuse will be dirt jump forks like the Rockshox Argyle or Pike DJ. Jump forks have absolutely zero small bump sensitivity though so will be really harsh over high frequency, small bumps.
  • The Reba is a very good fork but like all 100mm forks it's designed for xc riding, not downhill. The only forks which will suit your frame and take plenty of abuse will be dirt jump forks like the Rockshox Argyle or Pike DJ. Jump forks have absolutely zero small bump sensitivity though so will be really harsh over high frequency, small bumps.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will look into that. But i am not going to be riding actual DH stuff. It is more for a kind off have fun and just ride kinda off way i like it :)