My 26er wheeled Stumpie

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm sure there are a few chewing over the same dilemma.

There's nothing wrong with my Stumpjumper FSR comp 2010 but its got a few signs of wear on drive train and will need some investment soon to replace brakes too(probably with Deores) so probably £200 needed to keep it in tip top shape.
The thing is I hate the fact I might need to invest money in outdated tech (26in) when I should probably be saving for a new bike. If wheel sizes were still 26 I'd happily stick with this cracking bike that has served me well and just upgrade it because its like wearing your old pair of jeans- comfortable!

If I buy a 650b will I notice a big difference from my 26 in wheeled bike? I suspect not so what do I do?

Comments

• If you're happy with the bike then I wouldn't get rid of it for the sake of feeling you need to because of wheel sizing. Plenty of people still riding 26" so I doubt spare will be a problem for a while yet.

27.5" roll a bit quicker but the majority of people riding them would have purchased due to 26" no loner being available rather than a conscious decision to choose 27.5" over 26".
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Keep it. You said it might need some new brakes and drivetrain which is all transferable, so it isnt wasted money in that respect.
  • Comfortable jeans. If you have a bike that you like and you're comfortable on, keep it. 26" will never really die; dirt jumping/slopestyle/freeride is only really doable on 26" wheels so there will always be supply. I'll sitck with my '08 Pitch until it dies
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Keep the Stumpy going. It's a great bike. There will be 26" parts available for years, dirt jumping, freeride and 4x won't go to bigger wheels and their wheels are pretty similar to trail wheels. You can use 27.5" forks with mountain issues.
    I changed to 27.5" wheels recently and honestly can't tell the difference. The only person I know who can tell the difference is a pro rider and he's running 26" wheels on his 27.5" bike because bigger wheels make tricks harder!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as wheels are round they won't be outdated tech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I went 650b just because it was the only choice for me, I can barely tell the difference to be fair except all my old tyres are no bloody use to me!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But the are lots of people happy to relieve you of those part worn tyres!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I got good money for my part worn 26" tyres on eBay.
    I'm staying with 26" for downhill. I tried a couple 650b DH bikes and with heavy wheels and tyres it is much more of a difference than on a trail bike. Didn't like the effort it took to turn at high speed and I kept over rotating on hips.
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Thanks for all the replies.

Especially those who said noticed little difference between their new 650b and old 26inch wheels. Reassuring and will keep my stumpie, maybe until 27.5+ full suspension is fully developed in a couple of years time.......or another significant development comes along
  • 27.5+ full suspension will be available very soon. Doesn't appeal to me at all though.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    What's worn on the bike as you can get some good deals on cassette n chain and possibily new front chain ring?

No point getting rid just because there's all this new 27.5/29er stuff out.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Im running 650b on my new bike and i honestly cant tell the difference. i wouldnt chop a bike in because ofthe wheel size.
  • Upgrade to the latest standard and soon enough it will be replaced with another new standard. Mountain bike manufacturers have been getting ideas from Apple
  • Upgrade to the latest standard and soon enough it will be replaced with another new standard. Mountain bike manufacturers have been getting ideas from Apple

and like an Apple phone. It seemed like a good idea at first but will soon be a bad idea.

I don't understand 27.5+ at all. Humping all that unsprung rubber around. Surely making bikes lighter and stronger should be the priority.
    Stick with the 26 or change to 27.5 but I wouldn't even consider 27.5+
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Your talking this guy out of a new bike.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Fix the 26".

Buy a 650b.

Love them both dearly

(for the record I notice zero difference.......until I get back on a 26")
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • I still have 26" and 27.5 and can't tell the difference at all.
  • There's some proper 26" specific bargains to be had (forks, tyres, wheel sets etc) from a lot of the big retailers now 26" isn't trendy anymore.
    Upgrading the fork and tyres on my 2012 zesty was much cheaper than a new 650b wonder bike !
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........