Noticeable difference between 14 and 13 teeth smallest cog?

420cycling
420cycling Posts: 21
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
So looking for ways to make the bike faster. I have a seven speed which previously had a 14 tooth smallest cog, got a new freewheel with a 13 tooth small cog. Ive only rode a couple times since i changed it and i haven't really noticed a difference in top end speed. What I do notice is the slower acceleration.. Granted I haven't rode on any major declines yet but from what I was hearing a mere difference of one or two teeth on the smallest cog can improve your speed by up to 9 percent. I dont know but so far this looks like a wasted investment

Is this what I should expect or should I be seeing an increase on top end speed,?

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    So looking for ways to make the bike faster. I have a seven speed which previously had a 14 tooth smallest cog, got a new freewheel with a 13 tooth small cog. Ive only rode a couple times since i changed it and i haven't really noticed a difference in top end speed. Granted I haven't rode on any major declines yet but from what I was hearing a mere difference of one or two teeth on the smallest cog can improve your speed by up to 9 percent. I dont know but so far this looks like a wasted investment

Is this what I should expect or should I be seeing an increase on top end speed,?

It depends on cadence and chainring size but as a rough guide it'll be about 2mph ish. http://www.bikecalc.com/ is good for playing with these things
  • Just came back from a ride. Its definitely harder to move than 14 but I'm not sure if it's because of the crunchy feeling of new chain new gears. I already miss my old set up. I start a bike messenger job tommorow and was trying to get it in by then.
  • The short answer is that you aren't yet fit enough to turn your new top gear, unless you lack an elementary understanding of how bicycle gearing works! But whilst I don't know what chainrings you have on, 50-53x13 is quite a tall gear - about 43kph/27mph or so at 90rpm.
  • The short answer is that you aren't yet fit enough to turn your new top gear, unless you lack an elementary understanding of how bicycle gearing works! But whilst I don't know what chainrings you have on, 50-53x13 is quite a tall gear - about 43kph/27mph or so at 90rpm.

You might be right about the strength factor. 14 teeth was so easy to peddle it was getting to the point that I couldn't get any faster. This 13 cog isnt hard to push but maybe I haven't mastered it yet to get the affects of the increase in speed.

I don't know how many teeth are on my chain ring. I didn't plan on changing it only the smallest cog in the rear.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Isn't the obvious answer to use the 14 (that you probably still have on the new freewheel/cassette) until you're spinning fast enough to go into the 13 and maintain speed/cadence?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Isn't the obvious answer to use the 14 (that you probably still have on the new freewheel/cassette) until you're spinning fast enough to go into the 13 and maintain speed/cadence?

He's probably lost the 14 if he is on a 7 speed.

Whole discussion looks like op doesn't understand gears.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    go back to the 14 cog, spin faster. or use the 13 cog and try to maintain the same cadence and your speed will go up slightly. it does sound like a fitness/technique issue to me. if you are getting bogged down and are doing sub 70rpm cadence in this gear you aren't being efficient.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's not all about the gears - theres no point in jumping to a huge gear if you haven't the strength and the skill to spin it.

Where are you bike messenging ? You dont want to be in the biggest gear all of the time as they're a bugger to get going once you have to stop for traffic.

There are old blokes in my club that ride fixed wheel and because they can spin the gears they can descend a hill faster than a newbie on a fully geared bike.

What cadence are you riding at ? 80ish is optimal but you should be able to spin over 100rpm if needs be.
  • Difference in top speed? - if the OP has a 50 chainring, in the gear 50/13 at 100rpm he would be doing about 30mph, whereas in 50/14 at 100rpm he would be doing around 28mph. So an increase of 2mph or 7% with the same cadence, but hard to keep up that cadence in that gear for long for most of us I would guess.
  • Ok I can definitely feel the increased power and potential gain in speed now. I failed to mention that I never wore a bag with the 14 teeth but started wearing one after changing freewheel. I also had to get a few things cleaned up like replacing a broken spoke that was clanging around. Now the bike rides quiet and clean. I think it was worth it. Im not sure what my cadence Is and I'm delivering in downtown Columbus Ohio.

Where are you bike messenging ? You dont want to be in the biggest gear all of the time as they're a bugger to get going once you have to stop for traffic.

This is true I've mostly rode on bike trails or open road. Delivering in downtown is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Having to get on the sidewalk, ride inbetween pedestrians, the cars in such toght spaces and watching out for traffic cops. Today was my first day.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're riding on the pavement ? FFS...
  • You're riding on the pavement ? FFS...

He's. I should probably have posted this is the general road bike forum because in no way am I a beginner to road cycling. I'm in love with the 13. Its transformed my bike. So much more of an enjoyable ride now a d the bike is more machine like. I just love the long strides with the 13
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You're riding on the pavement ? FFS...

On the pavement and in the highest gear. Oh I bet the pedestrians love the OP. I get the impression their just using the bike like a fixie stuck in the highest gear and not bothering with shifting. Could be wrong.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Mad_Malx
    Are we talking USA pavement (road) or UK pavement (sidewalk)?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Are we talking USA pavement (road) or UK pavement (sidewalk)?
    420 mentioned the sidewalk, everyone else is referring to it by the UK term
  • I'm from the united States. We refer to pavement as the road. I always try to ride on the road with other traffic but there are times we have to ride on the sidewalk to cut into an adjacent road rather than wait in traffic.. Other than that I'm on the road ,99 percent of the time. I shift when going uphill, other than than I'm mostly in the highest gear on the back. I took off my front derailleur

Edit: would like to add that I'm now pushing this 13 pretty easily. Its amazing how much faster I am now with it. I can definitely tell the difference and I feel like more able to maintain my stamina with the 13. Don't feel like I'm working as hard and each stroke takes me further than the 14 did.
  • I think you've still got a lot to learn. I mean, we all do, but I think some a little more than others.
  • I think you've still got a lot to learn. I mean, we all do, but I think some a little more than others.

Explain
  • Mad_Malx
    I think you've still got a lot to learn. I mean, we all do, but I think some a little more than others.

Explain

OK - I'll try.
    You put a smaller cog on the back that has one less tooth than your previous. This means that the wheel goes round more times for each rotation of the front cog (i.e. complete pedal stroke). Why is it a surprise that it is harder to pedal, and if you maintain the same pedalling speed you go faster?

You mention you have removed the front derailleur. Which front cog are you using now?

Explain

OK - I'll try.
    You put a smaller cog on the back that has one less tooth than your previous. This means that the wheel goes round more times for each rotation of the front cog (i.e. complete pedal stroke). Why is it a surprise that it is harder to pedal, and if you maintain the same pedalling speed you go faster?

You mention you have removed the front derailleur. Which front cog are you using now?

Can you provide the quote where I said I was surprised that it's harder to peddle! I researched all this stuff beforehand and made the decision to switch. This thread was just an initial impression on the speed gain.
  • Mad_Malx
    Just came back from a ride. Its definitely harder to move than 14 but I'm not sure if it's because of the crunchy feeling of new chain new gears. I already miss my old set up. I start a bike messenger job tommorow and was trying to get it in by then.

Will this do?
  • Just came back from a ride. Its definitely harder to move than 14 but I'm not sure if it's because of the crunchy feeling of new chain new gears. I already miss my old set up. I start a bike messenger job tommorow and was trying to get it in by then.

Will this do?
    How does that quote show that I'm surprised that it's harder to move?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Click the link and scroll down for a bit more context which might be useful in this discussion...

viewtopic.php?f=40119&t=13035901
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    So looking for ways to make the bike faster. I have a seven speed which previously had a 14 tooth smallest cog, got a new freewheel with a 13 tooth small cog. Ive only rode a couple times since i changed it and i haven't really noticed a difference in top end speed. What I do notice is the slower acceleration.. Granted I haven't rode on any major declines yet but from what I was hearing a mere difference of one or two teeth on the smallest cog can improve your speed by up to 9 percent. I dont know but so far this looks like a wasted investment

So you can make a car faster by changing the gearbox so the engine (with no modifications) revs slower?
  • post removed due to: generalised insult to other members on thread.
  • Where have you popped up from?
    Sounds like you be a bannee from some other forum far far far away.. as you are plainly with the fairies, mush.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    Guy has his own way of doing things, not hurting anyone but bad language will not be tolerated. Neither will trolling or unpleasantness. Be warned ;)
    BikeRadar Community