Shimano Rs685/Rs785

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I know this is a cyclocross question but thought I'd post here as you MTB'ers will know a lot more about hydro discs.

I'm looking at getting the RS685 hydro disc brakes, they come with the rs785 caliper. Now I run euro style levers with the left doing the front brake and the right doing the rear brake.

Shimano have got the "easy bleed" system where you can select which shifter controls what brake but it seems not all retailers have the "easy bleed" and just have the standard lines which you connect with an olive.

Now does anyone know if it's an easy job to swap the brake hoses on the shifters around? Just that I think with the standard joining system the right is set up for the front brake as standard. I presume it would just be a case of cutting the used olive off, fitting a new one and swapping into the other shifter.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very easy and it can be done without needing to bleed them, easy bleed still uses olives etc and is related to bleeding and not changing hoses.

with pads in squeeze each lever until the pads come out and touch, this leaves more fluid in the calliper than is needed, carefully swap the hoses over, when you now push the pads back for fitting the extra fluid will move up the line and push any small air bubbles you may have trapped in place out in to the reservoir, sorted.

That or buy from a cheaper continental supplier with the levers the 'wrong' way round already!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Very easy and it can be done without needing to bleed them, easy bleed still uses olives etc and is related to bleeding and not changing hoses.

with pads in squeeze each lever until the pads come out and touch, this leaves more fluid in the calliper than is needed, carefully swap the hoses over, when you now push the pads back for fitting the extra fluid will move up the line and push any small air bubbles you may have trapped in place out in to the reservoir, sorted.

That or buy from a cheaper continental supplier with the levers the 'wrong' way round already!

Thanks!

I was planning on buying them from Germany anyway as it's a significant saving. I emailed the supplier and they said they come with standard brake hoses and the front brake is on the right. But from looking at the pictures all the bits in the box are separate anyway.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****