Is there a rider weight limit for carbon bikes.

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
Other half has linedup a BMC slr02 for my christmas present although can't have it till early January !
I am weighing in at 15 stone at the minute,and on a mission to get to 13 stone,and currently ride an early 90's Bianchi and was just wondering whether I might be too heavy for a lightweight carbon bike.
I have seen max weights for wheels but not bikes,and just wondered if there were limits to rider weights

thanks for any advice,

Phil.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Other half has linedup a BMC slr02 for my christmas present although can't have it till early January !
    I am weighing in at 15 stone at the minute,and on a mission to get to 13 stone,and currently ride an early 90's Bianchi and was just wondering whether I might be too heavy for a lightweight carbon bike.
    I have seen max weights for wheels but not bikes,and just wondered if there were limits to rider weights

thanks for any advice,

Phil.
    Some brands do have weight limits, I have in the past seen 100kg and 120 kg limits for bikes but at your current weight IMO you should be fine, worth checking before you buy though.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

thanks for any advice,

Phil.

Would depend on the make and model. For instance, you wouldn't maybe get away with the latest top of the range Scultura from Merida that is very thin material for weight saving. But, someone I regularly ride with is the best part of 19st and rides a carbon Merida Reacto 907 without problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The wheels, rather than the frame, are likely to be the limiting factor. Looking at the photo the wheels have a pretty low spoke count 20R/16F. At your weight I'd not be happy with fewer than 28 on the rear and 24 on the front. And even that's marginal.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 13-15 stone is nothing. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
  • It is definitely worth noting that whether or not there is a stated rider weight limit, racing bikes are made for racing cyclists. I would pay most attention to the wheels - go for 32-36 spokes.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    It is definitely worth noting that whether or not there is a stated rider weight limit, racing bikes are made for racing cyclists. I would pay most attention to the wheels - go for 32-36 spokes.

Total overkill on 36 spokes.
    10 years on Bontrager Selects 18-20 spokes at 90+kg most of the time no broken spokes.
  • Thanks for all the input guys.Some interesting points.
    I will give BMC a shout and see what they say,also got 3 months to go before i'm due to hit the showroom so will up the milage and shift a few more kg.

Thanks again.
    Phil.
  • Definitely check it out before you part with any cash. My ALLOY framed road bike has an 85kg rider limit!
  • It is definitely worth noting that whether or not there is a stated rider weight limit, racing bikes are made for racing cyclists. I would pay most attention to the wheels - go for 32-36 spokes.

10 years on Bontrager Selects 18-20 spokes at 90+kg most of the time no broken spokes.

That's just luck. The right hole can knock even a very sturdy wheel out of true, and even when the rider is light ( and I am much lighter than you). It also depends on the rim and the spokes you're using. Outside of racing, there's really no reason for recreational cyclists to use wheels with so few spokes; though it suits the manufacturers.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The weight limits are for warranty purposes. Lighter weight carbon bikes have a weight limit of 100kg generally fully loaded with rider and kit. It is the weaker components that are at risk of failure or wear as heavier rider weight more but also tend to be stronger as well.
  • letap73
    It is definitely worth noting that whether or not there is a stated rider weight limit, racing bikes are made for racing cyclists. I would pay most attention to the wheels - go for 32-36 spokes.

That's just luck. The right hole can knock even a very sturdy wheel out of true, and even when the rider is light ( and I am much lighter than you). It also depends on the rim and the spokes you're using. Outside of racing, there's really no reason for recreational cyclists to use wheels with so few spokes; though it suits the manufacturers.
    No it is not luck - I haven't been lucky for 10 years yet the wheels are fine. I have two other sets of wheels which I have had for 3 and 5 years which have less than 32 spokes and there is no issue there either. I won't be the only one whose had the same experience either. At the end of the day someone who is buying bike who is 13-15 stone should not be "frightened" into buying a 32-36 possibly handbuilt wheelset on the proviso of the imminent failure of the current wheelset - particular if said buyer is on a budget.
    The Campag Zonda has 37 spokes in total and receives stellar reviews:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360518140&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360518140uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sVKlUdcb0_dc|pcrid|67090789142|pkw||pmt||prd|5360518140uk
  • It's luck and specific wheel choice; many other riders are not as lucky as you. Some lower spoked wheels will tolerate heavier riders, but others will not, and there are limits to what any wheel can withstand. The heavier the rider, the greater the stress the wheel is placed under. Your experience does not generalise - it is irresponsible of you to advise heavier riders not to pay heed to this when choosing their wheels, and you should stop doing it.
  • Having contacted BMC via their twitter account,I got a reply from Evans saying the limit for the SLR02 is 16 stone or 100kg.
    Fine as I'm planning on dropping more weight by January.Will post back if I hear from BMC direct.
  • letap73
    It's luck and specific wheel choice; many other riders are not as lucky as you. Some lower spoked wheels will tolerate heavier riders, but others will not, and there are limits to what any wheel can withstand. The heavier the rider, the greater the stress the wheel is placed under. Your experience does not generalise - it is irresponsible of you to advise heavier riders not to pay heed to this when choosing their wheels, and you should stop doing it.

Considering nearly all road bikes ship with low spoke wheels, do you suggest that the Op not ride a road bike or he rushes out to replace the wheels immediately because its not designed to take any sort of load. From your argument all road bike manufacturers are apparently irresponsible. Luck has nothing to do with why my wheelsets functioning as they should. With regards to your last sentence, I am free to express a contrary opinion, as you are to mine, without recourse to being rude.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    IMO 32/36 is very conservative. That is a touring- or expedition-spec wheel (rims notwithstanding), good for carrying 40kg of bike & payload + 90kg rider. On the other hand the wheel will never go out of true on a road bike.

In general 16/20 is pretty aggressive though for a 95kg rider. I'd say 20/24 is also a wee bit under-strength, but you could probably get away with it for quite a long time. 24/28 would make for a nice light and reasonably robust pair of wheels.

If the spokes and rims are unusually strong then maybe there is something trick about the wheels if Evans claim 100kg rider weight limit?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • For reference the wheelset is Shimano WH-RS11.
  • Having contacted BMC via their twitter account,I got a reply from Evans saying the limit for the SLR02 is 16 stone or 100kg.
    Fine as I'm planning on dropping more weight by January.Will post back if I hear from BMC direct.

How long have you been riding currently and how much weight have you lost so far?
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2015
    [...]From your argument all road bike manufacturers are apparently irresponsible.

They make a product for a target market and have a vested interest in selling you (and making you want) the product that is most convenient and cheap for them to produce; so in a manner of speaking, yes: they want to sell more wheels.
    Luck has nothing to do with why my wheelsets functioning as they should. With regards to your last sentence, I am free to express a contrary opinion, as you are to mine, without recourse to being rude.

Sufficient stress will knock a wheel out of true. The heavier you are, the greater the stresses that the wheel has to put up with. These are simple realities. Whether you like it or not, you HAVE been lucky; many other riders of your weight (and over) DO break spokes and have to true their wheels more regularly when opting for very low spoke counts - and when they do fail, the wheel is often a write off. If you are at the upper end of the weight limit or over it, you should appreciate this when buying wheels. The weight limit if one is given is typically 100kg, but that does not mean that any racing wheel is actually made for a rider that heavy. That isn't to say that heavier riders shouldn't use these wheels, but neither is there any particular reason to if not racing.

How long have you been riding currently and how much weight have you lost so far?

Riding on a more regular serious level since beginning of the year,although had a poor few months lately due to a few outside factors such as my job involving upto 80 hours a week in the summer!,now back to 50-60 miles a week and dropped nearly 3 stone.
    Hoping to get to 13 stone eventually,down from 18 +.
  • letap73
    [...]From your argument all road bike manufacturers are apparently irresponsible.

They make a product for a target market and have a vested interest in selling you (and making you want) the product that is most convenient and cheap for them to produce; so in a manner of speaking, yes: they want to sell more wheels.
    Luck has nothing to do with why my wheelsets functioning as they should. With regards to your last sentence, I am free to express a contrary opinion, as you are to mine, without recourse to being rude.

Sufficient stress will knock a wheel out of true. The heavier you are, the greater the stresses that the wheel has to put up with. These are simple realities. Whether you like it or not, you HAVE been lucky; many other riders of your weight (and over) DO break spokes and have to true their wheels more regularly when opting for very low spoke counts - and when they do fail, the wheel is often a write off. If you are at the upper end of the weight limit or over it, you should appreciate this when buying wheels. The weight limit if one is given is typically 100kg, but that does not mean that any racing wheel is actually made for a rider that heavy. That isn't to say that heavier riders shouldn't use these wheels, but neither is there any particular reason to if not racing.

By all means continue to repeat yourself - a 36-32 wheelset is over kill. I would advise the Op to buy whatever bike he is interested in (OP -when you lose weight to 13 stones you will less weight than I am), you do not have to replace your wheels immediately in my opinion the above poster is scaremongering. The RS 11 wheels are pretty good wheelset - give it ago and replace if you want to. I replaced my 10 year old Select wheels with a wheelset from cycle clinic - who advised me 28-24 wheelset was sufficient for my needs.
  • [...]From your argument all road bike manufacturers are apparently irresponsible.

By all means continue to repeat yourself - a 36-32 wheelset is over kill. I would advise the Op to buy whatever bike he is interested in (OP -when you lose weight to 13 stones you will less weight than I am), you do not have to replace your wheels immediately in my opinion the above poster is scaremongering. The RS 11 wheels are pretty good wheelset - give it ago and replace if you want to. I replaced my 10 year old Select wheels with a wheelset from cycle clinic - who advised me 28-24 wheelset was sufficient for my needs.

Normally I try not to bother attempting to reason with people with their fingers in their ears, but this is the beginners forum and there might be impressionable newbies reading. What you have to accept is that many heavier riders DO have problems with lower spoke count wheels, and it is therefore something to consider when buying them. End of.
  • letap73

Normally I try not to bother attempting to reason with people with their fingers in their ears, but this is the beginners forum and there might be impressionable newbies reading. What you have to accept is that many heavier riders DO have problems with lower spoke count wheels, and it is therefore something to consider when buying them. End of.

Pot calls kettle black.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    When i was heavier i had a set of wheels built that were 28 front and rear in terms of holes. i was 13 and a half stone when i got them ( i'm now around 12 stone).

they served me well for 11000 miles, and then i got the rims replaced as they'd worn out. they've done me fine and i ve used them in the tour of flanders sportive and liege bastogne liege without issue.

the SLR02 is a fantastic bike and is deserving of a decent set of wheels. i used Dura ace hubs on mine and H plus son rims. made by a guy that is no longer making wheels as far as i'm aware. You could get similar performance from hope hubs and h plus son rims, with the added nice noise that the rear hope hub makes ( dura ace are very quiet).

anyhow, go for the bike, you won't regret it and start saving for some decent handbuilts.
  • When i was heavier i had a set of wheels built that were 28 front and rear in terms of holes. i was 13 and a half stone when i got them ( i'm now around 12 stone).

they served me well for 11000 miles, and then i got the rims replaced as they'd worn out. they've done me fine and i ve used them in the tour of flanders sportive and liege bastogne liege without issue.

the SLR02 is a fantastic bike and is deserving of a decent set of wheels. i used Dura ace hubs on mine and H plus son rims. made by a guy that is no longer making wheels as far as i'm aware. You could get similar performance from hope hubs and h plus son rims, with the added nice noise that the rear hope hub makes ( dura ace are very quiet).

anyhow, go for the bike, you won't regret it and start saving for some decent handbuilts.

Sounds like a plan! Always good to have something in the pipeline to be saving for :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Total BS about spoke count for 13-15 stone riders.

I am currently 13.5 stone, but have been 15 stone on 16/20 and 16/21 spoke wheels over the last 3 years (including carbon spoked ones) with zero issues.

None have gone out of true or needed a new spoke.
    Quality tends to outgun or at least equal high spoke count IMO/IME.

I would not worry at all about most frames at that weight, and just don't go really silly on wheels.
    You may find the higher spoke count ones it comes with are far less suitable than the lower spoke count ones you could (should?) be putting on it though.

Total BS about spoke count for 13-15 stone riders.

I am currently 13.5 stone, but have been 15 stone on 16/20 and 16/21 spoke wheels over the last 3 years (including carbon spoked ones) with zero issues.

None have gone out of true or needed a new spoke.
    Quality tends to outgun or at least equal high spoke count IMO/IME.

I would not worry at all about most frames at that weight, and just don't go really silly on wheels.
    You may find the higher spoke count ones it comes with are far less suitable than the lower spoke count ones you could (should?) be putting on it though.

Many heavier riders do have breakage and truing issues. Wheelbuilding has definitely got better since not so long ago when even lightweight riders would use 36 spokes on rough roads, but the facts are simple - sufficient trauma will untrue a wheel or break a spoke, and the heavier you are, the more strain the wheel is under. Moreover, lower spoke counts make for much higher pressure, which can lead to stress cracking and worse, and the wheel will probably be unusable if you do break a spoke. (and proprietary spokes can be more difficult and/or more expensive to get hold of)

The bottom line is that the manufacturers are doing it to save money, and unless you are racing TTs there's no real benefit in it for you. I use a 16 spoke front wheel on my TT bike, but I see no reason to on my other bikes, and I'm not heavy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think a lot of 'heavier' riders are possibly......... heavier than 13/15 stone, and a lot of them are probably having issues with rubbish quality stock/OEM wheels, or cheap low spoke count aftermarket ones, rather than very decent factory ones.
    They may also be abusing them of course.

My example is 'real world', and its more than one set of wheels.
    Ok, so maybe I have just been lucky, but I still feel that saying someone that weighs 14 stone needs 32/36 spokes when I have had zero issues with 16/20, 16/21 is wholly unrealistic.
  • It really depends on the condition of the road surfaces you ride on, and yes, luck. I don't see using as few spokes as you can get away with as a sensible logic for everyday riding - if you do hit a really big hole, a stronger wheel will fare much better, and you aren't losing anything (or conversely gaining anything from reducing the number of spokes). If this were changed to using Marathon Pluses to attempt to avoid all risk of punctures, I would be prepared to agree, but it's not.
  • Be careful with the term 'rider' weight limits. Cube for example has a 115kg weight limit on carbon race frames generally. That 115kg includes:
    1) the frame
    2) all the bike components including groupset and wheelset, tyres, inner tubes, saddle, pedals etc
    3) Any 'luggage' & contents (tools spare tubes etc)
    4) water & bottles/holders
    5) The rider
    6) what the rider is wearing
    7) lights/batteries

These limits are rarely quoted in sales blurb or reviews. Buyer beware.