Chain slipping with new cassette and chain

betski
betski Posts: 21
edited September 2015 in Workshop
2 x 10 compact road bike. 12-27T rear. 50-34T front.
ridden bike 1000 miles.
dry miles only and cleaned chain and cassette every other ride.
chain swapped after 500 miles. from shimano 105 to KMC.
front chain ring replaced after 800 miles when bolts came loose.

have now upgraded wheels from RS11 to RS81 with new cassette shimano 5700 (same as the last)
KMC chain swapped to shinmano ultegra.

chain slips under strain with new wheels in small chain ring at front with rear gear 3-4 with either new or old chain.
old wheels work fine with either chain.

when i compare the cassettes they are identical apart from the 3 largest sprockets that have LL letering on the old and M1\m1b\m1c on the new.

Is a simple tweak needed here or is the cassette actually different? thx

Comments

• have you adjusted the gears with the new wheel in? suspect the cassette may be in a slightly different alignment, hence the slipping
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Blimey you're spending a lot on replacement parts after very little mileage! Why the change of chain at 500 miles?? And a chain ring just because the bolts loosened?? And now a new cassette and another chain after another 500 miles!

Are you sure your new Ultegra chain is 10 speed and not 11?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've had the same a couple of times.
    Check for a stiff link and clean the chain, put plenty of lube on the chain and then run it through a rag. A couple of clicks on the rear derailleur might be worth a try too.
  • @ keef - hi. the older parts go on the trainer over winter. chainring bolts came loose, the small chainring bent under pressure.

@bozman - hi. that's my inclination- to turn or tighten something a little. What are the most common settings to change if the parts aren't worn? it's not the chain- both chains work ok on the older wheel\cassette.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    @ keef - hi. the older parts go on the trainer over winter. chainring bolts came loose, the small chainring bent under pressure.

@bozman - hi. that's my inclination- to turn or tighten something a little. What are the most common settings to change if the parts aren't worn? it's not the chain- both chains work ok on the older wheel\cassette.

What was previously referred to was the rear mech alignment. Each gear lever click is supposed to move the rear mech by one increment. With the new wheels, the alignment of the cassette is fractionally different from the previous wheels and the chain is effectively 'riding' between the sprockets.

Pick up a tutorial on gear set up, scroll down for video options:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-to-adjust-the-gears-on-your-bike-video-23582/

It's all here - just go to the home page and you'll find almost everything maintenance wise you need.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • What was previously referred to was the rear mech alignment. Each gear lever click is supposed to move the rear mech by one increment. With the new wheels, the alignment of the cassette is fractionally different from the previous wheels and the chain is effectively 'riding' between the sprockets.

Yup, that's what I said
  • thx for your comments guys. here's what i did to sort it-

shift chain into small rear cog
    turned the barrel adjuster CW
    loosened anchor bolt.
    pulled cable taught.
    tightened anchor bolt.
    test. not quite right.
    turned barrel adjuster 1 turn CCW. ok.

the shimano lettering on the cassette relates to the year of manufacture. L=2014 M=2015.

Cheers :D