avid bb5 upgrade

diamondgeezer69
diamondgeezer69 Posts: 5
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Currently have a bike with avid bb 5 calipers on but feel they lack power.

Is there a straight bolt on replacement with more stopping power?

Many thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hydraulic discs if you have separate brake levers and shifters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Combined shifter and brakes! 105 road shifters.

Regards
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I thought road brakes had a different cable pull, so that might be your problem.

But I could be wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes, road levers pull less cable. I think you need to pull a V brake amount of cable for cable discs.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Combined shifter and brakes! 105 road shifters.

Regards
    so are your BB5 the MTB or Road versions?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It sounds as if you have road BB5 brakes, and I'm proceeding on that assumption . . .
    TRP Hy/Rd should be a straight swap, although they're not cheap. They are, however, regarded in some comparative reviews as the best disk braking you can get out of cables. I believe Shimano do a CX cable disc brake as well - CX-35 or CX-70, something like that, and the TRP Spyre may be one to look at. If you have plenty of money, consider the TRP parabox set or the Hope V-Twin.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    If you have 105 levers you should have road BB5s. Road BB7s are the easiest upgrade, plenty powerful enough but a bit lacking in feel. There are other road cable calipers like TRP Spyre or HyRd which may be better. I upgraded to a Parabox hydraulic convertor from BB7s, much better feel but no more powerful.
    That reminds me, I really should list the BB7s in the classifieds.
  • Hi ,

The 105 set up is a road shifter bb5 set up so thanks for all recommendations so far! I will go and investigate!

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

How much you after for the bb 7 's?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BB7's are lighter but won't give any more power IMO.

To be honest you should have more than enough power on BB5's, if you don't it suggests an issue, either adjustment or pad contamination, if they aren't adjusted up properly you lose leverage ratio.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.