Need suggestion about derailleur

jeffersonduang
jeffersonduang Posts: 38
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of change a derailleur set for my current XC MTB, Which one should I choose between Shimano Deore XT and SRAM X01 ? Or should I just pay more money and get a XTR ? Or do you have other recommendations ? What factors should I pay attention to ?

Comments

• What have you got now and why do you want to change?
  • Depends on what setup you're currently running and whether or not you plan on keeping your current shifter if you're only purchasing the derailleur.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • It needs to be the same make as your shifter and the same number of speeds as thr rest of your transmission.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It needs to be compatible with your shifter and Compatible with the number of speeds on the rest of your transmission.
    FTFY, your quote wasn't quite accurate!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thinking of change a derailleur set for my current XC MTB, Which one should I choose between Shimano Deore XT and SRAM X01 ? Or should I just pay more money and get a XTR ? Or do you have other recommendations ? What factors should I pay attention to ?[/quot

I want to change all the derailleur. I used to use shimano Alivo, want to have a better one. Have not used SRAM, so want to know what the different between SRAM and Shimano? And want to know what the different between Shimano XT and XTR ?
  • One's a different make and the other's are different quality from the same maker.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If you're coming from Alivio you won't be able to use X01 as its 11 speed only. If buying new then you may be able to find the correct speed however both are now 11 speed too but there are still 10 speed and possibly 9 speed available especially in XT.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you want to keep your current shifter, you need to stick to Shimano for the rear, although you could fit a SRAM front.

Changing the derailleur for a better one will see little improvement, you'll save a few grammes but the bulk of the shift quality comes from the shifters, on that basis I'd just suggest fitting Deore which are a reasonable improvment in tersm of weight and a bit more robust than older alivio, you'll need the same speed as you have now, a 10 speed mech will not work with 9 speed shifters..

Your posts are a bit confusing, what EXACTlY do you have now and what EXACTLY do you want to change and why?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alivio isn't 10 speed so XT won't be compatible. Only Deore or SLX will work if it's 9 speed. If it's 8 speed or less then Alivio is as good as it gets.
  • Alivio isn't 10 speed so XT won't be compatible. Only Deore or SLX will work if it's 9 speed. If it's 8 speed or less then Alivio is as good as it gets.

Based on some models, yes, so without knowing exactly which model it is all irrelevant
  • If you have Alivio shifters and aren't planning to upgrade them, dont buy XT or XTR rear mech as it would be pointless. The shifters give the precision and crisp changes, not so much the mech - better to have XTR shifters and a deore mech than the other way around.

SRAM vs Shimano is largely a personal thing but the cheaper Shimano is generally better than the cheaper end SRAM in look and feel and performance. I prefer Shimano and run XT which does all a quality mech could at half the price of XTR.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.