P*ssed off with the new camelback podiums..

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Used the old podiums for years and they were mostly great. Got a couple of the new ones recently and threw out the old ones (something I am beginning to regret..)

Yes, the new tops and squirt mechanisms are better than on the old version, BUT - the profile of the new bottle itself, with the lack of a distinct sunken ridge near the top, means that a full bottle can easily work its way out of the bottle cage when going over rough roads at speed... i'm using bog-standard Elite cages so it's not that.

There was a good reason for that ridge on the bottle, proper bottle cages are designed to clip into it at just that point. Can't believe camelback sacrificed functionality for aesthetics with this!

Anyone know of an available bottle with an old fashioned sunken ridge that has the same thread diameter/pitch as the podium tops?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had an issue with the new ones ? I use alloy cages on one bike and tacx Tao plastic cages on others ?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Nope. No issues at all with the new podiums in a range of cages on different bikes (including alloy Elites on the fixed which has done 9000km this year so far, over all surfaces and not once has a bottle worked loose).

Give your cages a squeeze by the sound of it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I found that the old Podiums (by old I mean with the smaller mouthpiece) and plastic Elite cages are pretty much incompatible, so have never even bothered to try with the new ones.
    I found they work their way up and then shoot out!

I got some new carbon cages now, which I absolutely love, but they will only accept a more ordinary bottle so have gone back to boring SIS ones.

Podiums fit best with Tacx cages (which are pretty much too big for normal bottles) IME.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have Camelbak Podiums, but looking at images online I think they are the earlier model. They fit into my Lezyne Flow cages like Lego; there's no danger of them coming out accidentally. Disappointed if Camelbak have changed the design for the worse :(
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think my bottles are quite wide - they seem it compared to the High5 750ml bottles that I mainly use.

If squeezing isn't doing it for your cages (hopefully alloy) what about adding some sugru on the cage to make them a bit more secure. Cheaper than new bottles.
  • Using the new design and no issue here either. Using them on Elite Ciussi and Elite Ciussi Gel alu cages, Tacx alu and carbon cages and a non brand alu cage on my MTB. The latter takes a hammering and the bottle has never fallen out.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited September 2015
    Ah, it's not just me then that's having issues? I was thinking my Elite cages were losing their spring or something because my Camelback bottles kept working their way up the cage during a ride. I've replaced the cages with some Bontrager RLs and all is well. Tried some Elite Sior cages and they were far too tight.
  • neeb
    Just to clarify, i'm using the Elite Race (plastic), not alloy. Maybe I need alloy cages for these bottles. But with the old ones I found the Elite Race were fine - a very tight fit, but I liked that!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    My wife uses 700ml podiums in her plastic Elite race cages and has never had a problem. The bottles are all around 6 months old so assume they are the newer ones
  • neeb
    it's really just going downhill at speed on rough roads with full bottles that I have a problem - but in those situations it's incredibly annoying!