High Speed Electric Bike

Dayling
Dayling Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in MTB general
Would a bike powered by 2 washing machine motors be any good? How would I do this and also how fast would it go?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did someone get a warning recently for calling someone else a troll?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Would a bike powered by 2 washing machine motors be any good? How would I do this and also how fast would it go?

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Would a bike powered by 2 washing machine motors be any good? How would I do this and also how fast would it go?

Three phase or brushes? How fast it would go would depend on so many factors. Would it be good? Depends on your idea of good. How would you do this? Motors mounted to the frame, belts driving the rear wheel and then for you to spin the cranks like a hamster on XTC on a wheel then times that power by one hundred fold and you might start generating almost enough power so you can turn the washer motors so that you can go at a snails pace along a flat straight.
  • Also with the motor being none self regulating, you would be creating a suicide motor. But if you get anywhere near the power needed I would be shocked.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYZyZQbh-o

Makes me cringe just watching this. You are taking your life in your own hands and I advice against this.
  • I was also lucky enough to receive a warning responding to a thread from this guy, apparently I was trolling there.

It's as if the moderator got it completely wrong. Interesting.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its no longer an electric bike if it goes faster than 15.5mph or a maximum power output of more than 250 watts (around 0.3HP).
  • Did someone get a warning recently for calling someone else a troll?

Seems my spidey senses are in full working order...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • No, but in the name of natural selection you should definitely give it a red hot go.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • There are all sorts of funky stuff you can do with mechanical engineering and bikes - there are all sorts of videos on youtube documenting the many successes and failures.

I think anything you do, assuming you have the skills and knowledge to do it is awesome but you have to video it and put it on youtube or it didn't happen.

Please could you use normal sized font when posting though. It hurts my eyes. Also could you make your questions more sensible as they hurt my brain.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

Probably not, because
      Washing machine motors are for washing machines. They're not particularly light.
      Washing machine motors are used to working on their own. In, as I've mentioned, a washing machine. It may be tricky to persuade two of them to work together at the same speed.
      E-bikes generally get by on one motor, driving one wheel. Two motors on one wheel or a motor on each wheel is probably a bit of an overdose of motors.
      Your "How would I do this" suggests you don't know how to do it. This is not a promising start for an engineering project.

I'd like to ask some questions of my own:
      Do you have a bike at the moment?
      Do you ride it?
      Do you find yourself thinking that it's only a couple of washing machine motors away from perfection?
      Are you aware that the legendary "washing machine parts" that the equally legendary Graeme Obree used to build his bike were in reality just a couple of bearings?
    Probably best to just get out on your bike
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er