Oval Chainrings??

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited September 2015 in MTB general
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these?

Do I need one and what are the real world advantages?

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly received.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have one, had it for six months now. You don't need one. There is possibly an advantage but it's not much.
    They feel weird to start with and at high cadence they never feel good. Nice for climbing though.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I have quite a high cadence and can't say I've felt any problems when i'm spinning
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have one, had it for six months now. You don't need one. There is possibly an advantage but it's not much.
    They feel weird to start with and at high cadence they never feel good. Nice for climbing though.

This.

I only notice the weird lumpy feeling on the road at higher cadence. Doesn't bother me, but I do notice it. Don't notice any particular performance advantages. Cheaper and lighter than the stock XX1 one was though, would have another one, for those reasons alone.
  • I really noticed the lumpy feeling at high cadence in the Alps where I was often in my highest gear at very high speeds.
  • I have a 32t - its fine. Replaced a 30t and seems comparable in terms of my ability to climb stuff. Don't notice lumpy pedalling particularly. I'd get another over a round for sure.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I might be showing my age but these an appearence about 20+ years ago and were called (bio pace) by suntour. Then they just gradually dissapeared but if they work for you go ahead and use one
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Biopace was Shimano.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bio pace rings had the angle wrong and didn't really work. Modern oval chainrings have the oval at a much more effective angle.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have Exage Biopace on my retro, rotated round one bolt (72 degrees) and it works much better than in the original locations!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.