Thomson Dropper Problems

bungalballs
bungalballs Posts: 193
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having a few problems with my Thomson Elite Dropper Seatpost, and hoping somebody might have come across this. Its the 27.2mm version, only 6months old and I've not been on my mtb much this summer.

When fully extended, it 'clicks'; only slightly but when sitting it is amplified through the saddle. I have tried removing the seat post from the bike, removing the saddle and the clamp, and releasing the cable. When I then put my weight on it against something solid, it moves maybe only 0.5mm, but with a noticeable click. This seems to be through the travel, not side to side or front/back. Its a single click or pop, not like a creak, and when I release my weight it sort of clicks back again. If I drop the post even a tiny amount, it stops and it is completely solid.

Any ideas? This is my first dropper - I assume this isn't normal? Just checking I'm not doing something daft before I toddle off to the dealer under the warranty.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    No help to you but mine's about a year old and has been OK despite frequent intense neglect. it doesn't click or anything like that but it's smoother after a light application of teflon lube

Two year warranty though - good luck!
  • my brother had the same issue although his was just over a year old. he hadnt really abused it or done anything crazy, no crashes or anything. anyway he got his sent off to be serviced (merlincyces where he brought it from told him to send it somewhere that i cant remember off the top of my head sorry) but anyway he was told that the cartridge would need replacing (under warranty) so they would do that but didnt have any in stock. so he was offered either a new post or a a complete service with new cartridge depending on what came in stock first. also to mention he was told the service would cost him £95 if it wasnt under warranty. but the thomson post comes with a 3 year warranty so send i would get it sent away if i was you.
  • Thanks Ryan,

Yeah that's one of my worries, I had to wait ages until 27.2 was in stock. I might have to wait a while if replacement is needed. My plan is to strip it off the bike this weekend and get it back to the shop.