First cyclocross is the Giant TCX SLR 2 a good choice?..

Th3P
Th3P Posts: 91
edited September 2015 in Cyclocross
Hello

I currently have a Whyte 129 Works Full Sus and a Rose Xeon CDX Di2 road but want to add a middle ground so starting looking at cyclocross bikes.
I had settled on the GT Grade but I dont think the tyre clearance will be sufficient for "proper" cyclocross tyres, So I went out looking yesterday and my LBS can do me the 2015 Giant TCX SLR 2 for £760, Is there anything else I should be looking at for that price?

Ideally I want a descent set of disc and tiagra upwards (or in this case 105).

Im always checking eBay and Gumtree but not seen anything yet

Cheers

Comments

• Th3P
    Sorry I meant to say it will be used for local trails, tow paths, forest runs, greenways and footpaths/bridleways. I dont plan to race!!

Im around 90kg so getting the lightest bike possible doesnt apply to me, it would be much easier to loose weight off me
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I just bought one and it gets delivered on Friday. Google around for some reviews, the ones I found were very positive indeed. The seemingly biggest complaint about the bike was the wheels, heavy (ish) with unsealed hubs. If thats the case and the hubs get trashed then I'll just get some handbuilts.

When you look at the spec of the bike its quite good for the £1k mark but when you're getting a 20-25% discount not much comes close on paper.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Th3P
    I just bought one and it gets delivered on Friday. Google around for some reviews, the ones I found were very positive indeed. The seemingly biggest complaint about the bike was the wheels, heavy (ish) with unsealed hubs. If thats the case and the hubs get trashed then I'll just get some handbuilts.

When you look at the spec of the bike its quite good for the £1k mark but when you're getting a 20-25% discount not much comes close on paper.

Hello

Thanks for the response, Yeah it does seem good spec for the price.
    Ive never had or dealt with Giant so wanted some feedback on the bikes/them

Let me know how you get on
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I've got a 1 of this and it has been good, wheels and handlebars could do with a change (the latter purely personal) but what bike doesn't? It has been solid on the trails around mine. Can't compare it to much but was great bang for buck, especially with the discount I received.

By no means do I find it has nice or fun as my actual roadie but it covers the winter and CX bases.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Th3P
    I've got a 1 of this and it has been good, wheels and handlebars could do with a change (the latter purely personal) but what bike doesn't? It has been solid on the trails around mine. Can't compare it to much but was great bang for buck, especially with the discount I received.

By no means do I find it has nice or fun as my actual roadie but it covers the winter and CX bases.

Sounds like it does similar duties to what mine will. Now to convince the Mrs I need it!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I've got one, although I've replaced pretty much everything on it bar the seatpost. The stock wheels were the first to go as they are extremely heavy and, I found, prone to excessive pinch flats. I've upgraded to hydraulic brakes, although the Spyres mine came with are the best cable actuated brakes I've used, far superior to BB7s.

I train and race on mine and am pretty happy with it, it's not the lightest bike but it handles well and is agile enough to be fine on slower turns.