spam 10 speed compatibility with 11 speed?

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks.. I'm trying to piece together a sram red groups et. I've got the chance of everything bar the chains et in 11 speed. I use, and like a 50 34 chainset. I've got a chance of a chainset with those chain rings but it's from a 10 speed setup. Can I use a 10 speed cranks et. . What is the difference?

Cheers

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Yep, ok with an 11sp chain. Difference is 11sp chainset has rings maybe .4mm closer together than 10sp.
  • turbo1191
    Got to hate predictive text. That was actually meant to read chainset not chain..
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    10 speed Rear mech and 10 speed Chainset will work with 11 speed groupset not sure about front mech.
    Obviously you will need 11 speed chain and Cassette.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hi folks.. I'm trying to piece together a sram red groups et. I've got the chance of everything bar the chains et in 11 speed. I use, and like a 50 34 chainset. I've got a chance of a chainset with those chain rings but it's from a 10 speed setup. Can I use a 10 speed cranks et. . What is the difference?

Cheers

You could have saved a lot of money. SRAM 10 speed rear derailleurs are compatible with 11 speed shifters as are the FD and the chainset. Even the other way around, the 22 FD is compatible with 10 speed shifters and makes for smoother shifting on the front.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    That's really interesting. As a 10 speed luddite(!) that means I could 'upgrade' by just changing shifters, cassette and chain (wheel too if not 11sp compatible?)?

Or I could stay 10 speed and use the new yaw fd? Or even the hydraulic shifters/brakes or clutched rear dérailleur?
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Don't tell everyone though, still nice getting cheap red rear mechs off of ebay because they are upgrading to 11 speed. :D
  • turbo1191
    I'm going to be running a 11 32 rear cassette so am I right in saying I'll need a med cage wifli?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm going to be running a 11 32 rear cassette so am I right in saying I'll need a med cage wifli?

Short cage is fine for 11-28, but any bigger you need a Wifli rear derailleur.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Really trying to get a hold of a 50 34 chainset. Got the chance of a 53 39 really cheap.. I tend to be more of a spinner. Would I notice a huge difference between the 34 and 39 inner ring?