New to road biking. New Bike!

Sniperumm
Sniperumm Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
Hi there,

I've recently received a road bike as a birthday present but I'm unsure if its the right size. I've never been on a road bike before, although I have been mountain biking alot to keep fit. I'm 5ft 85. The bike I have is a Focus Cayo 7.0 size large which translates as 57cm. My seat was lowered and a 90mm stem was fitted (original had a 110m stem).

I have only been on a few rides and so far it feels very strange. I'm not sure if I'm stretched out too much. Unfortunately I've been struggling to find some cycling shoes (for cleats) that fit right so right now I'm using flat pedals with normal trainers. Please see my position below (pic). I don't have a bike trainer to get a good picture so my dad is holding the bike while I sit on it.

5T6LotQ.jpg

From what I've been told I look fine but I wanted to get more opinions. After my first ride my hands were aching along with my neck. I woke up in the morning with a slightly stiff neck/lower back but I'm told this is normal as I'm not used to the position. My 2nd ride wasn't as bad.

Look forward to your replies :)

Comments

• gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    On paper I'd say that is way too big. As a reference, I'm 5'11" and ride a 54 or 56 depending on bike. That said, it doesn't look horrifically big. If the option to exchange for a smaller frame is there then it may be an idea to take it, maybe 52 or 54 at most. If not, then get a bike fit and see if they can optimise what you have.
    There's no golden bullet with bikes and some people prefer frame sizes that shouldn't really fit them.
    Not sure if that helps much but my 2p worth
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Here is a link to their bike sizing, if you go to the last page.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.focus-bikes.com/fileadmin/Media/Downloads/Catalogs/FocusBikes_Catalog_ROAD_2011_en.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiYh6bFqNDHAhXLjtsKHaaODHo&usg=AFQjCNGQDSQM7k36tw0AYtsaYjVmbgM7uw

Going by this you need a 54cm bike. I would check what size you have and change if needed.

Your position on the bike looks OK, road bikes while faster are less stable than mountain bikes for the first few rides until you get used to them.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Pretty much everything has already been said. On paper, a size large frame is way too big for someone of your height, but your position doesn't look that stretched-out, even though the Focus Cayo has quite aggressive geometry (not that long, but pretty low at the front). Albeit, you're having to run with the stem flipped-up with the maximum number of spacers underneath and we can't see how far forward your saddle is.

If this is your first road bike, then your body will take time to get used to the position. To ease the pressure off your hands on the hoods, try tilting the bars back a few degress.
  • Thanks for your replies :)

Not sure if I'll be able to exchange for a smaller frame now that I've been out on it but I can ask. I've included a picture below of the current setup so you can see where the seat is.

XM7Xdos.jpg
  • DKay
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for your replies :)

Not sure if I'll be able to exchange for a smaller frame now that I've been out on it but I can ask. I've included a picture below of the current setup so you can see where the seat is.

XM7Xdos.jpg

A tell tale sign of a too-large a road frame is a lack of saddle to bar drop and your saddle and bars look to be almost level. The bike is defo too big and riding a road bike which is too large isn't pleasant and it will get worse the longer the ride. A switch to an even shorter stem would resolve some of it, but it would just be a band aid for the real problem.

Assuming it was bought from a shop and not online, the shop should have at least asked how tall the intended rider is.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I take it that someone went into a shop and bought the bike in the size they thought was the correct one for you, and presented it as a surprise birthday present?

Can't you put it back to standard spec. give it a good clean then go back to the shop and explain the situation and ask if they will swop it for the medium/54cm bike, or frame swop.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I take it that someone went into a shop and bought the bike in the size they thought was the correct one for you, and presented it as a surprise birthday present?

Can't you put it back to standard spec. give it a good clean then go back to the shop and explain the situation and ask if they will swop it for the medium/54cm bike, or frame swop.

You could ask the shop as a couple of rides in dry weather is unlikely to need much cleaning.

If not the only change i would try is moving a spacer or two above the stem to get a more comfortable position. Having the bars level or up to an inch below the saddle is not uncommon. Some people just prefer more but do what suits you.

Flipping the stem upright will have helped reduce the reach to the bars. The difference in the top tube between a large and a medium is about 1cm, so flipping the stem and a shorter stem will more than have compensated.

Also read up on KOPS to help get you the right saddle position if you get any leg pain or strains.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I don't think the bike looks too big for you. I am also 5'8 and have a 56cm Cube and it fits me. I have the stem flipped the same way as yours and my bike looks about the same size as yours. The Cube sizing is known to be small as I would normally fit a 54cm. It may be the Focus sizing is small as well.
  • That frame is definitely on the larger side for you, but based on what I can see it's a decent enough fit - contrary to the above, the saddle to bar drop is very typical. A road frame is too big if you can't have your seat low enough (or you have to have it as low as it will go), and/or the reach is too long (or you have to fit a very short stem). Satisfy those criteria and it's all subjective - fashions come and go.
  • DKay
    edited August 2015
    It may be the Focus sizing is small as well.

It's not.

The Cayo has a sloping top tube, but the OP barely has a fists width of seatpost showing. Also, with a short stem, the maximum number of spacers underneath and the step turned up, the OPs position is still reletively stretched-out to my eyes. It's not unrideable, but the bike is too big.

As a comparison, I'm 'only' 4'' shorter than the OP, but ride a 48cm Focus Cayo which is a whole three sizes smaller.
  • If that frame didn't have a dropped top tube, that would be a very normal seatpost extension. That top tube is definitely on the long side, but the top photo is not enough to go on.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Frame sizing is usually based on seat tube length and the Focus seat tube extends well above where it meets the top tube. That seems why there is not much seat post showing. If the stem was flipped in the down position there would be a much bigger drop to the bars and the seat height would not seem low. I don't think the bike looks too big for the OP.
  • Every rider has their own preferences, so as someone who is new to the sport, it can be difficult to know what you want.

To me, that bike looks too big. I am the same height as you, and had considered a Focus Cayo in the past; I was looking at a 51cm frame. I could probably get away with a 54cm, but I would probably need a shorter stem as it has quite a long top tube.

My advice would be to take it back to the shop and ask them for their opinion. I would also give the bike a good wiping down with a damp cloth to get rid of any muck beforehand.
  • I hope you can swap it for a 54. If the shop wont do it. I would even pay them some amount of cash to make the swap.
  • DKay
    Frame sizing is usually based on seat tube length.

I disagree. Frame sizing is mainly based on virtual top tube length as the reach is your biggest factor when it comes to basic comfort. At the OPs height, he should be looking for top tube lengths of around 550mm as a rough guide.