Does it take much time to get used to drop bars?

CyclingPiper
CyclingPiper Posts: 14
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm gonna buy a drop bar bike soon, and probably will end up riding it home. I've never ridden a drop bat bike before, but I have a lot if experience riding, but with flat bars. Is it easy to jump into a drop bar bike?

Comments

• I depends on the individual, but most adapt quite quickly.
    I know I was a slow starter and had trouble adapting to narrower drop handlebars (although to be fair the bike was waaay too big which didn't help) and later on adapting to aero bars for TTs.

However, I know some people who hop on and are perfectly happy right away- depends on the individual more than anything.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Was fine for me from the first ride after 3 years or so of mountain biking and 700mm+ bars. Getting used to being clipped in was my issue.

That said I do almost all my riding on the hoods and don't feel comfortable on the drops at all. I suppose I've got to use them to get used to them!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I hadn't ridden a bike for years and only had experience of flat bars prior to buying my first road bike. I felt fine from the first ride on the road bike using the hoods and rode it home (with flat pedals!). The speed of how fast a roadie reacts to shifts of weight takes a little getting used to more than anything.

Get used to using the drops as soon as you can to gain confidence. The longer you leave it, the more chance you have of being the type of rider who never uses them ever, which robs you of a useful position change and limits how well you'll be able to brake and descend.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    If you are riding a new bike home and they fit it with pedals with straps take the straps off - drop bars are fine i f you take it easy but getting your foot out at a junction is more likely to have you off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]