Paris Roubaix Cyclo/Audax

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
I have a hankering to do the Paris Roubaix route - the full 250k route, ending in the velodrome. I seem to remember there is an Audax that is run every 2 years and follows the route as done by the pros.

When I try to google this I get a range of confusing options - mostly in French which I have zero knowledge of! I know there is a 140k sportive option, then there seems to be a "Roubaix Raider" option.....

Can anyone point me in the right direction - where do I find the one I want and when is the next one?

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Not sure if its the same thing, but every 2nd year the local Roubaix Cycling Club organise the 'Paris-Roubaix Cyclo-Tourisme' event.

We did it in 2014, and hope to do it in 2016. Its held in June (16th 2016 tbc), costs about €10 to enter and there are fantastically well stocked feed stations at several points along the route.

There are 2 distances - 120km and 210km.

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • clanton
    Thanks! That is probably the event I am looking for. I take it you finished on the Velodrome?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Yes, you finish at the Velodrome and can even shower in the famous cubicles, if you wish. I have done it twice in 2010 and 2014, great event, if very painful!

Since 2012 they no longer offer the full course... now the ride starts from Bohain en Vermendois and covers ca. 215Km... you do all the famous pave' secteurs and a couple more I think, as last time we did 28 secteurs and I think P-R only has 26.

They have rearranged the course... Arenberg comes at 120 Km to the finish, while in the PRO race I think it's 80 Km to the finish... Mons En Pevele at 80 Km, while the PRO race is at 50 Km.

Either way, highly recommended no nonsense event
    left the forum March 2023
  • clanton
    Thanks very much for the replies.
  • I stopped off at the Arenberg forest on my way home yesterday - foul weather but got the bike off the car and rode that section in both directions (ok and posed about for a photos riding it) - my first experience of proper pave but I really would not fancy "racing" over it in those conditions in a sportive let alone the way the pros do it in a big bunch.

I've just finished Sean Kelly's biography and his words about hitting the cobbles at top speed being best were in my head but when I saw them there was not a chance I was going to try that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I think that's the nicest thing about the June version, there are only about 1200 entrants compared to 14,000 in the Skoda one in April. When we did it, there were never any crowds to fight with on the cobbles.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    same as the others above, I did the last one in June 2014 and am looking to go again in 2016. For me the best day event I've done- by far. At least being two years apart you forget the pain and only the good memories remain!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • clanton
    Hi again

Looking to enter now. Just trying to work out the logistics. I see there is an option for bus transfer to the start - is this from the end ie Roubaix? So you would leave a car at the finish in the morning or the day before and get the bus to the start on the morning of the race?

is this a good way to do it? Seems to me positioning yourself at the start the day before might be better, then having someone fetch you at the other end......
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

When I try to google this I get a range of confusing options - mostly in French which I have zero knowledge of! I know there is a 140k sportive option, then there seems to be a "Roubaix Raider" option.....

Top tip - get Chrome browser with Google translate option - auto translates every page. Can be amusing for Japanese sites.
  • Hi again

Looking to enter now. Just trying to work out the logistics. I see there is an option for bus transfer to the start - is this from the end ie Roubaix? So you would leave a car at the finish in the morning or the day before and get the bus to the start on the morning of the race?

is this a good way to do it? Seems to me positioning yourself at the start the day before might be better, then having someone fetch you at the other end......

Yes, it is a viable option. The bus leaves from outside the Velodrome
  • clanton
    Thanks Ugo.

Now just need to get fit enough - and brave enough!
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I think the coach journey to the start is all part of the event- load the bikes and get your head down on the bus. You will see other riders from all around the world who turn up to participate. Also its a lot easier to book accommodation at the finish than it is to book both at he start and finish which requires logistical planning etc- or you go with a tour company/support car. Great event, Im going again in 2016, I read that they've added more pave- 32 sections for the long route, crickey.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • clanton
    Ok so we are booked in, have accomodation sorted, bikes, tyres etc.

Now just logistics - apologies for MORE questions but there is not a lot of info on the website... At leats there is an English section now though!

I take it we sign on the day before? Is registration in Roubaix or at the start? any idea what time you can start registering and what time registration closes?

Regarding the start - what time does it kick off? Are riders batched?

Should I have an email with all this info?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    clanton wrote:
    Ok so we are booked in, have accomodation sorted, bikes, tyres etc.

Now just logistics - apologies for MORE questions but there is not a lot of info on the website... At leats there is an English section now though!

I take it we sign on the day before? Is registration in Roubaix or at the start? any idea what time you can start registering and what time registration closes?

Regarding the start - what time does it kick off? Are riders batched?

Should I have an email with all this info?

Registration on the day at Bohain, starts around 5-7 AM

It's all in here, in english

http://vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/index.p ... Itemid=252
  • clanton
    Thanks very much! I did actually look at that page and totally missed that - embarrassingly!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ridden the full 269km event a few times - there's something mystical about starting a ride in the dark and seeing the stream of blinking red LEDs in the dawn mist. Last time I went we drove over on the Saturday stopped for steak, frites and beer in Poperinge, kipped in the car for a few hours, got on the bus, rode for 11 hours in 30 degree heat, got back in the car and drove most of the way home to find a crash had closed the M25 for a couple of hours - fell asleep in the outside lane! Proper bike adventure!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..