Planet X London Road - general thoughts and wheel choice?

JackPozzi
JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently eyeing up the London Rd as a winter bike/occassional tourer and commuter. Looking at the £799 version with 11 speed rival and mechanical discs.

Think it fits the bill for what I want pretty damn well but not sure what wheels to go for, two options included in the price are Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc Clincher Wheelset or WTB ST I19 TCS Rim On Selcof Comp Disc Hubs. I know nothing about either of these wheels so just wondered if anyone has any thoughts of pros/cons please?

Comments

• Buff40
    Buff40 Posts: 19
    I've got one, in the zesty lime.

It's a cracker to be honest, I have the WTB rims on Selcof hubs, no problem, they seem well made and sturdy (I'm not a small bloke).

As an added bonus, they're marked as tubeless ready.

For £800, it's an awful lot of bike. :)
    FCN 9
  • JackPozzi
    Thanks Buff, do like the zesty lime, but fear a horrific clash with my bright orange club kit so probably opting for the stealth black paint scheme!

Sort of like the idea of tubeless but they seem to involve quite a bit of hassle especially if they get a puncture on the road that's too much for sealant...
  • Buff40
    Buff40 Posts: 19
    Yeah, it's a 'loud' colour, but doesn't look too bad in the flesh.

I'm running mine on the stock tyres, not thought about going the tubeless route, no need to be fair, I have no intention of going 'off road' but may have a look when I need new tyres, thinking about 28mm road tyres.

It's definitely a workhorse, but not one that's really heavy and sluggish, it'll shift when you put the power down.
    FCN 9
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854

It's a cracker to be honest, I have the WTB rims on Selcof hubs, no problem, they seem well made and sturdy (I'm not a small bloke).

The hydro version at £1000 is exactly the same "awful lot of bike"
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • JackPozzi

Oh don't, my initial browsing budget of £600 is already being stretched!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854

You've got this far, take the next step :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702

You've got this far, take the next step :D
    I hate to say it, but I agree with NeXXus here. I love my Cotic and the cable brakes were really good, upgraded to a Parabox as it was stupidly cheap and the brakes felt better, not more powerful just better feel. I'd really like proper hydraulics though, it's the only thing I'd change given the choice but there weren't any when I bought my bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Currently eyeing up the London Rd as a winter bike/occassional tourer and commuter. Looking at the £799 version with 11 speed rival and mechanical discs.

Think it fits the bill for what I want pretty damn well but not sure what wheels to go for, two options included in the price are Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc Clincher Wheelset or WTB ST I19 TCS Rim On Selcof Comp Disc Hubs. I know nothing about either of these wheels so just wondered if anyone has any thoughts of pros/cons please?

I'm in the same position. Getting that itch again that needs to be scratched.

Built up a 2014 Genesis Equilibrium Disc frameset earlier this year as my first foray into disc brakes after many years on standard rim braked bikes both commercially sourced and built from frame + components.

I'm really hooked on the discs now (TRP Spyres in my case) after around 500 miles or so on the Equilibrium and I really enjoy the ride based on 11-speed 105 5800 and some rather nice Moonglu handbuilt wheels (H Plus Son Archetype rims with Hope Pro2 Evo hubs).

However I am suffering a bit of a weight penalty with the steel frame + forks combo and was looking to move on to something a bit lighter either alloy or carbon frame + carbon forks.

Now the sensible option would be to buy a Planet X London Road Frameset at £200 and just transfer the bits over from my Equilibrium. The carbon RTD80 disc frameset is an option but at £900 it's a bit of a stretch. I'd rather spend that sort of money on a complete bike

However having experienced Campag (basic Mirage)for 10 years on my old Mercian and various incarnations of Shimano (Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105) on my other road bikes I have a hankering to try SRAM to see how I get along with it. Hence my leaning towards the London Road with Rival 22 and hydraulic discs.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIVHRD/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-disc-road-bike

Anyone out there got any comments on Rival 22 vs 105 5800?

BTW anything you might want to know and more about the London Road is probably in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860&hilit=Planet+X