concrete saddle

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited September 2015 in Road general
A question please....for the last 3 months my saddle has just appeared to be a bit harder. Lost the comfort. Can a saddles foam/general comfort be lost over time? I am a lumpy fella but had this saddle for 4/5 years and never had an issue with it. It caused blisters and sore early July and I had to stop riding for 2 weeks to let the skin heal.
My position has not altered. Yesterday it was like sitting on concrete but to the hand it still feels the same. My weight is the same.
I know the roam in shirts can become squished over time. Wondered of saddle do the same thing?

Thanks

Hardarse from France!

Comments

• A question please....for the last 3 months my saddle has just appeared to be a bit harder. Lost the comfort. Can a saddles foam/general comfort be lost over time? I am a lumpy fella but had this saddle for 4/5 years and never had an issue with it. It caused blisters and sore early July and I had to stop riding for 2 weeks to let the skin heal.
    My position has not altered. Yesterday it was like sitting on concrete but to the hand it still feels the same. My weight is the same.
    I know the roam in shirts can become squished over time. Wondered of saddle do the same thing?

Thanks

Hardarse from France!

how old is the saddle? they do fail eventually.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Check the pad in your shorts.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They can harden with age. My son came home from Uni with a bike that had been rescued from a skip. Had an ancient Selle Italia gel type saddle, but it was like sitting on a house-brick.

If you don't ride in a head down, very stretched out position, Try a Brooks B17. I have one on my wet / winter bike. For me it was comfy out of the box and with use has become even more so.

Or if the Brooks is a bit too spendy, Spa Cycles do a nice line in Chinese made leather saddles that look a lot like the various Brooks models :wink: .

I have their racier Aire model on my good weather carbon bike.
  • What make and model of Saddle is it? I had a toupe saddle that all of a sudden became uncomfortable and when I checked underneath it had a thin crack from where the rail goes in at the rear on one side.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure how it can feel like concrete if you have decent bib shorts on.

If it has fitted you for years then (unless something has broken) it's not the saddle IMO