Brakes Issue

LeighK123
LeighK123 Posts: 12
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Basically, bought a brand new set of hydraulic brakes.

After setting them up, trying my best to get them aligned (squeeze brakes and then tighten up the bolts), and manually align them with a piece of white paper, they still rub against the side of the pads.

In order to try and stop the pads rubbing unevenly, i have had to adjust the angle of the wheel slightly by undoing and then tightening the quick release at the right angle?. Is this ok?. Even after resetting the pistons fully, the disc rotor continues to rub against the pads. Is this common for brand new pads?

Thank you.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Which brakes did you get ?

Assuming everything is fitted properly i would take the bike for a quick ride to wear them in properly. Sometimes this is all that is needed.

If not first make sure the wheel is in properly and done up tight enough. If not it will move around when braking. Next look down the brake and by eye move the caliper so the pads are the same distance either side from the rotor. Then carefully do up the bolts watching the gap stays the same. Try the brake a few times. If it still rubs look at the gap and readjust. Sometimes one pad moves into the disc a little before the other which is why the undo bolts pull on brake method is not the best.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No the wheel should be straight. Adjust the brakes, don't try and fit the wheel around them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's normal for pads to scuff, mine are doing it at the moment, eventually it stops, then it will happen again. Just go with it. As long as the rubbing isnt slowing you down don't worry about.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Just check to see if the disc rotor isn't bent as this can cause the pads to rub.

I've just fitted a new set of pads to my front brake and aligned up the caliper and there's no rubbing on pads.
  • ok Brilliant, Just set them up properly now. Did the method of manually aligning them, and seemed to work. Thanks a lot!.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    ok Brilliant, Just set them up properly now. Did the method of manually aligning them, and seemed to work. Thanks a lot!.
    :)