Hi and advice sought for 1 "do it all" bike

courboy
courboy Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys

I'm new here but am a frequent reader of the forum and looking forward to contributing over the coming months.

I currently have two bikes: a Giant Defy 4 which I use for commuting and a Canyon CF SLX (ultegra) that I use in the evenings, weekends and for sportives. I primarily cycle for fitness, although am considering doing some crits etc next season.

With the winter coming up, i'm keen to get a disc bike for commuting and to replace the Defy however, have been thinking about getting a much better disc bike to replace both and have as my only bike. I realise that disc brakes will preclude me at the moment from crits but this isn't necessarily a concern.

Bikes I am considering for a winter/commuter (more sportive geometry):

1. Specialized Roubaix SL4 disc
2. Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
3. Canyon Inflite 9.0s

Alternatively i'm considering the following as my only bike:

1. Giant Defy Advanced SL 0 2015
2. Specialized Tarmac Pro Disc 2015

My budget is about £2,500 for the n+1 or up to about £4,000 for a single bike.

Would appreciate views on this and suggestions on alternatives - thanks!

Comments

• mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    courboy,

I think disks are great and personally if I wanted a bike for commuting and winter riding, I rather get something I could trash about without too much concern and not feel guilty.

Why not spend around 1.5k or less for the commuter and more for a race bike, an expensive commuter/winter bike might be a bit of a drag when you realized its the same bike you've be using again and again only it's for the great race you've been preparing for weeks and it might not feel "special" enough lol, just my 2 cents.

Something like a ribble or planetx or similar and when the UCI finally has decided on when to allow disks into the peloton, you'll be able to get a really good racing disk brake bike.

Cheers
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good food for thought above. I would think about the wear and tear on a commuter bike with the mud, grit, salt etc. and consider getting a good second hand bike or a cheaper bike for winter commuting. Disc brakes, especially hydraulic are great for start stop urban riding, especially in the wet.
  • mawashi
    More than a few guys have chosen to get a cyclocross bike for winter and commuting.

That way you can trash, train and play in the mud yet have a shinny baby waiting when the sun shines.

I like the planet x cx bike but it doesn't come with mud guards:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV/planet-x-xls-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-cyclocross-bike

With the cycle to work scheme you might get something decent yet totally reliable from cannondale, ribble, planetx, boardman etc etc.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    There isnt a definitive 1 does it all bike.
    My CaaD10 has been winterized twice but I have hated doing so to it as when in race trim it is a thoroughbred even though I say it myself.
    Having swapped jobs recently I got a nasty 26lb singlespeed /fixie to commute on.
    One gear is enough.. when you suss out what gearing is best.. 46x19 works for me.
    Can leave it unattended (almost) has mudguards...
    as said get a frame that is race sorted... personally not a fan of disk setup for road... but it seems younger generation can't wait..
    It maybe a sack of spuds but with a 46x17, have set a Strava kom without too much effort.... all for less than 200
  • mawashi
    Even as a commuting bike, I rather at least have 105 components and a half decent frame. If I had to ride in the rain I would much prefer to have a bike that I would enjoy as much as it's sunny.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    As a "do it all" bike -Genesis disc - I have an Equilibrium 20.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2