Newbie on Budget

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi Everyone

Well as the title tells I'm getting on a bit now and my weight getting higher due to work ect. so I'm trying to get bike on budget, anyway I have 9 year old daughter which I just managed to teach to ride bike she wasn't interested before, I know a bit late but better now then never :wink: , I was looking on some bikes and for what I would be using mainly don't need to spend like the £600-£1000 but would like something that is fine carrying 15st 5f11 guy and don't look silly, I have see some good old bikes on auction sites that can be had for good money with few upgrades, if not what would you recommend. Budget for 2nd hand £180 new £330, would prefer 2nd hand as I could by my daughter better bike well at least lot lighter then the one she has now

I seen some trek bikes also old Merlin Malt 2 that is close to me, I also don't mind doing some repairs ect. could also upgrade in future, but main plan is getting her and my self to trails the closes one in Chicksands and few other runs so it gets as out and about a bit father daughter love.

Anyone can help?

Comments

• ade555
    Well not much help , but I managed to pick up Kona Blast which I'm very happy with.

Ahh I think I posted in wrong section this should be in buying advice, sorry
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With some patience you can get a pretty good used bike for circa £180-200, you want hydraulic disc brakes and a damped fork.

For the youngster, you either pay out for a decen bikes, or get something like a Carrera blast which can be had quite cheap and then spend about £80 shedding some of the excess weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    With some patience you can get a pretty good used bike for circa £180-200, you want hydraulic disc brakes and a damped fork.

For the youngster, you either pay out for a decen bikes, or get something like a Carrera blast which can be had quite cheap and then spend about £80 shedding some of the excess weight.

Well I all ready picked up good bike Kona Blast 2011, I'm very happy with it and what I'm using for now, does the job superb, specially at the price I got, as for my daughter she is happy with hers but I can see she straggles when we go off road specially if the surface is not smooth, will be looking for something from specialized or merida on 2nd hand market, I don't believe she knows the difference if there was front shock on it or not, at the moment I'm learning her how to climb or decent small hills safely as she was frighten when she originally got on bike, and changing gears but she is doing fine and learning quickly.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Decathlon's range of kids bikes are good value and not completely nuts in terms of weight. They are not Isla Bike-light, nor as light as the Frog ones, but to be brutally honest I've never seen a half-fit child really have that much problem with a couple of extra kilos. We all grew up on bikes weighing a tonne, didn't we?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)