Garmin 520 or 810

kenyancyclist
kenyancyclist Posts: 7
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi. I have a Garmin 520 edge on order, but it has been delayed for months. (Ordered July 19th and now expected mid September). It is very frustrating, but that is another story!

The shop have offered me an 810 at the same price, saying that it should do all the stuff the 520 does and more. I've checked and the 810 seems to include the live strava segments with a new firmware update, which is why I ordered the 520.

Can anyone tell me which one to go for? Am I getting a good deal if I swap for the 810, or should I wait and be patient?! I would go for the device with the most features, but the live strava aspect is a must. Anyone have any experience of this with the 810?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    The 520 is available now from wiggle.

I don't know much about the 810 but it's around £210 on most sites so cheaper than the 520 so no I don't think they are offering you a good deal selling it to you for the same price as the 520.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Agree with the above! 520 is for sale at £239.99, 810 is widely available around £210.

I too have a 520 on order. I wish I had ordered it through Wiggle, who appear to be the first to have stock. I will hang on for mine though, as have read a lot of unfavourable reviews of the 810 and its habit of crashing/ losing data.
  • Thanks for both of these replies. Easy decision to wait for the 520.

I ordered it through Evans, who claimed they would be the first UK stockist. Might see if they'll give me my money back so that I can order it through Wiggle and get some cycling in with it before Summer ends!

Thanks again!
  • Jimx26
    Have they taken the money without having stock? Robdogs!
  • Dalton
    Not impressed that they have taken the money (quite some time ago as well). Seems to be the norm on this product, instead of taking cash once dispatched.

Tempted to ask for a refund - could say I have changed mind about purchase (distance selling). Then buying from Wiggle.

:x
  • I've got an 810. It's never crashed and as of today's firmware update I'm now running the live Strava segments.
  • Jimx26
    Not impressed that they have taken the money (quite some time ago as well). Seems to be the norm on this product, instead of taking cash once dispatched.

Tempted to ask for a refund - could say I have changed mind about purchase (distance selling). Then buying from Wiggle.

:x

I would, takes the p$ss. I didn't think companies did that these days.
  • Dalton
    Went to my local bike store (Hargroves Cycles) and they had a Garmin 520 Bundle in stock, not only that they were selling 10% off, so picked one up for £269. Result!

:D
  • Jimx26
    Went to my local bike store (Hargroves Cycles) and they had a Garmin 520 Bundle in stock, not only that they were selling 10% off, so picked one up for £269. Result!

Nice!

I've just emailed wiggle to see if they will price match my order.
  • Update: a day after posting this I have received confirmation that the device is on its way from Evans. I checked my PayPal, and they did take the money on the 17th July, but they do cover themselves saying that the date is an 'expected' delivery.

Very happy to finally get it on 2nd September!

Thanks for all the replies.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stores have to take money when you order or they have to store hundreds of card details which is not viable and they have to be stored safely. Also given they have hundreds of orders not paid for when it comes to dispatch some orders will not be paid for and the items sent out. Stores have to protect themselves. I'd do the same and if the folk who complain actually ran store and want to stay in business they would do the same as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459

Get in!!!
  • Jimx26
    Stores have to take money when you order or they have to store hundreds of card details which is not viable and they have to be stored safely. Also given they have hundreds of orders not paid for when it comes to dispatch some orders will not be paid for and the items sent out. Stores have to protect themselves. I'd do the same and if the folk who complain actually ran store and want to stay in business they would do the same as well.

Disagree with this. I pre order a lot of stuff from various sites and never have I had money taken before despatch.

A small lbs I can see your argument but not a company the size of Evans.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Stores have to take money when you order or they have to store hundreds of card details which is not viable and they have to be stored safely.

Rubbish. How many websites these days save your card details for future use, without a problem? I think every online store I use now saves card details.
    Also given they have hundreds of orders not paid for when it comes to dispatch some orders will not be paid for and the items sent out.

How hard is it to say "This product is out of stock" and not take any orders until it is in stock? Do not advertise it for sale if you cant deliver.
    Stores have to protect themselves. I'd do the same and if the folk who complain actually ran store and want to stay in business they would do the same as well.

Protect what? Their profit by fleecing customers.
    Would I do the same? No, I'm not criminal. Maybe the shops would get more customers if they offered great service and did not have a bad reputation for taking peoples money for a product the shop doesn't have and doesn't know when its going to have.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby