Which front fork have i bought?

N3uI09
N3uI09 Posts: 16
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i recently bought this Rockshox Sid front fork, but i need some help pointing out exactly which model it is, because i have a problem with it..

What i do know, is that it is air-driven, and some text says: dual flow rebound..

The lockout ain't working.. i can turn the blue knob, to the locking position, but it aint locking..

How do i fix the lockout? is it just a simple little thing, or does it need replacement?

2j4x75g.jpg

zwr9h.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is there an air valve at the bottom of the left leg, riders perspective?
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    The outer cable doesn't look correctly seated into the lockout ring to me.
  • N3uI09
    edited August 2015
    From riders perspective, there is a red valve om the bottom right fork. What is that? And on the left fork is an air valve.

I am new to mtb'ing so i would appreciate some info :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It says Sid on it. Yep, cable not right
  • Chunkers1980
    Unless it was really cheap you may have been better getting a slightly lesser fork and new wheels and tyres in stead
  • N3uI09
    I bought it for 37 dollars. I am only gonna ride my bike om a everyday basis, and in the forest once in a while.
  • Chunkers1980
    How come?
  • N3uI09
    How come, what?
  • Chunkers1980
    25 pounds for a fork costing new over 10 times that and looks new
  • N3uI09
    Well, i suppose the guy who sold it to me, didn't know what it was, and then the lockout is broken.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably nothing wrong with the lockout, as the cable isn't set up properly it will be obvious the knob isn't rotating when you use the remote, that big expanse of bare inner cable shouldn't be there between the outer and the stop on the fork crown.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • N3uI09
    I will try to tighten the cable, when i've fixed the gears. Do any of you guys know a good guide for adjusting the gears? it's a shimano deore shadow. i am gonna replace the cassette + chain soon too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The remote cable isn't fitted right. Those remotes are useless anyway.
    It must be stolen at that price.
  • N3uI09
    The remote cable isn't fitted right. Those remotes are useless anyway.
    It must be stolen at that price.

I got it from a friend of mine, so I don't think it's stolen.
    About the cable, i can turn the blue knob with My fingers, but the fork won't lock up..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tech docs for the fork are on the RS website.

Any other info you might need is on Parktools.

And what everyone else has said about the cable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Lockout on this fork is using a damper, even when locked it still moves a bit, just very slowly, it's not rigid.

It also ends damper fluid, so you could check it has the right amount is in that leg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • N3uI09
    How do I check that?
  • The Rookie
    Remove the cable, remove the rotating actuator, unscrew and remove the damper and check.
  • I took the top damper apart, cleaned it and re-lubed it. Now it works! Execpt the cable, i can't get it working.. Then i thought, maybe i could just use it without the cable? I need some kind of arrangement made, course it's not that easy to turn when it's all round. Does anybody har some suggestions? I would like a DIY solution if it is possible.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The lockout wont work unless the cable is 100% taught. They are very sensitive to that. I would undo the grub screw, make sure the housing for the cable is properly seated both ends, pull the cable tight, then turn the lockout cap a little, and tighten the cable in that position to give it some pre-tension.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.