Castelli sizing?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Why is it that their size chart definitely puts me at medium yet medium seems to be too small? Im talking bibs and tights here. Are they meant to be almost painfully tight? I see that many seem to buy a size bigger than normal but this doesnt make sense. Do they stretch with use so end up fitting after a few wears?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Most people myself included need to go up a size for castelli bibs and tights compared to their normal size for other makes. They are close fitting but very comfortable. Other makes tend to be looser fitting.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Their jerseys tend to feel tight off the bike, but fit really well when when I a riding position. However I tend to size up with their bib shorts so take a large in their shorts and a medium in their jerseys (although I'm medium in their size charts for both). I've just bought a pair of Castelli 3/4 Nanoflex bibknickers in large and they fit great, same as my Velocissimo shorts...I'm 37.5" chest and 33" waist.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • on-yer-bike
    The bib straps on the free aero shorts in M where almost at breaking point and I had really pull the legs to get them on. Im 37-38" chest, 32 waist and 5-10. Im used to tight fitting with Rapha Pro-Team but there is a limit!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The fit is tiny on shorts. My club kit is Castelli and I had to go up to an XL on shorts (with a medium jersey) otherwise I'd end up with a massive bollox swelling man wedgie due to the tight straps.
  • on-yer-bike
    The fit is tiny on shorts. My club kit is Castelli and I had to go up to an XL on shorts (with a medium jersey) otherwise I'd end up with a massive bollox swelling man wedgie due to the tight straps.
    and very raw shoulders
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    edited August 2015
    The Castelli size chart puts me as a medium, aero shorts are tight but ok, Sorpasso bib tights too tight and uncomfortable, nano flex bib tights are perfect, nano flex shorts are comfortable, but too long and baggy at the leg gripper.

It would be nice if they could at least be consistent.

Edit: all those are castelli Bib shorts or tights, so suggesting it would be nice if we could have consistency within a single manufacturer.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sizing between manufacturers is a never going to be standardized.. end of.
    Even vests can be ridiculous in choosing best fit... Specialized bases need to be L and still they are tight .. yet Craft (better imo) are M for a good close fit and a good length.
    I do like Castelli.. but yes even at 6' 1 shorts will be L but tight until on the bike and a summer jersey could get away with a M.. but my newer Gabba 2 for this coming winter season is a L and tight fitting enough to avoid the ultimate roadie nightmare of flappiness.
  • on-yer-bike
    Does the size up rule apply to the Sorppaso bib tights as well?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    Does the size up rule apply to the Sorppaso bib tights as well?

yes, i did otherwise no way they'd fit

with castelli shorts/tights they seem to be based on a model with skinny thighs in proportion to waist size
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny