25mm GP4000s on H Plus Son Archetype?

mpie
mpie Posts: 81
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone running the above combination (~80psi) tell me how tall the tyre is above the rim? I'm looking to buy new wheels but want to make sure they'll fit on my minimal clearance SuperSix.

Yes, I started another thread a few days ago on this topic - but with a different, vaguer question - and didn't get a straight answer. Hence the new approach.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You got a very straight answer from me to you original post. You chose to overcomplicate the matter by Googling, which you could have done before asking in the first place.
  • mpie
    You got a very straight answer from me to you original post. You chose to overcomplicate the matter by Googling, which you could have done before asking in the first place.

Except that the available data contradicted your opinion. You may indeed be right, but I prefer some data before splashing out £300+ on some wheels which might not fit my bike.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,263
    Height is marginally trickier to measure than width... IME no matter how wide is the rim, the height is unaffected... it's only the width that changes. I would assume if the rim was seriously wide (25 internal or so instead of 15-20) then the height should actually go down, rather than up
    left the forum March 2023
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Height is marginally trickier to measure than width... IME no matter how wide is the rim, the height is unaffected... it's only the width that changes. I would assume if the rim was seriously wide (25 internal or so instead of 15-20) then the height should actually go down, rather than up

That's what I thought too. Do Archetype have any technical department who could provide you with a clear cut response on dimensions? Unfortunately I only have GP 4 Seasons on my Archetypes which I don't think will give you a guaranteed answer. Let me know if you want that dim (I always run with minimum 100 psi - must eat less!!).

Peter
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    I am running this combo on my weekend wheels (built by Ugo, no less).

I am unsure how best to measure this - where would you like me to take the measurement from/to?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I have this combo on for the moment - GP4000s II do size up pretty big (compared to 4 Seasons which I normally run - 25mm 4000s are pretty much the same size as 28mm 4 Seasons).

I've not really got anything that's going to measure anything as accurately as you need I am afraid if the clearances are as tight as you suggest (with what rim/tyre?).

Getting a bike with proper clearances would be the best answer in my view, but that may not be financially viable.
  • mpie

I am unsure how best to measure this - where would you like me to take the measurement from/to?

If you can measure from the outermost part of the rim to the outermost extent of the tyre I think I can work from that. I'm assuming the wheel diameter at the bead seat is the standard 622mm and I can get the bead seat to rim edge distance from the H Plus Son website. Ideally I need the distance from the wheel axle to the outermost extent of the tyre, but I can't think how you could measure that easily.
  • mpie
    I have this combo on for the moment - GP4000s II do size up pretty big (compared to 4 Seasons which I normally run - 25mm 4000s are pretty much the same size as 28mm 4 Seasons).

I've not really got anything that's going to measure anything as accurately as you need I am afraid if the clearances are as tight as you suggest (with what rim/tyre?).

Getting a bike with proper clearances would be the best answer in my view, but that may not be financially viable.

I've currently got RS10s with 25mm GP4000s and only about 1-2mm clearance to the downtube. Marginal.

My nightmare scenario would be to find the wheels don't fit and have to buy a new bike. Hmm... tempting.
  • mpie

Idealised geometry suggests than if you increase the rim width, the tyre height first increase and then falls, with a maximum at about the point where the rim width equals the tyre height. What that tells me is just that geometry doesn't really help and I need some real world measured data to know the effect of swapping from RS10s to Archetypes. Sadly, I don't know anyone with such wheels to try, so I guess I'm going to have to 'sock it and see'. And hope it's not an expensive mistake.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    just a thought and its not a very scientific method but may work:

Can someone with this combo put some masking tape on the forks by the rim and them run a straight edge across the top of the tyre and mark the masking tape, then do the same with just the rim (sans tyre) and measure the distance between the 2, that would give you the tyre height on the Archetype wider rim?

You could then possibly measure from the centre of the drop out to the line on the masking tape (from the tyre measurement) and get the distance from the wheel centre to the outermost extent of the tyre.

of course this may not work but it in my head it will be near as damnit?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143

If you can measure from the outermost part of the rim to the outermost extent of the tyre I think I can work from that. I'm assuming the wheel diameter at the bead seat is the standard 622mm and I can get the bead seat to rim edge distance from the H Plus Son website. Ideally I need the distance from the wheel axle to the outermost extent of the tyre, but I can't think how you could measure that easily.

24mm

Don't know if it's worth noting, but I'm running GP4000 S II
  • mpie

24mm

Don't know if it's worth noting, but I'm running GP4000 S II

Thanks. I'll assume the new one are the same size as the old one for now. I've just measured 24.8mm height above the rim on my RS10s, so that promising. I also measured rim-edge-to rim-edge (tangential to hub so not perfect diameter but close) as 630mm. Any chance you could measure yours?
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I measured the height as 26mm.
  • mpie
    I measured the height as 26mm.
    Many thanks. Over a mm higher than on my rim so not good news.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I used to think that height of a tyre on wide rim was the same as narrower rim until some folk on weight weenies corrected me. Some did comparative measurement and drew out the tyre profiles. Tyres grow wider a shade taller on wide rims.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mpie
    I used to think that height of a tyre on wide rim was the same as narrower rim until some folk on weight weenies corrected me. Some did comparative measurement and drew out the tyre profiles. Tyres grow wider a shade taller on wide rims.

Hmm. That's what I feared. Just remeasured the clearance and it's 3mm to the downtube and clamp (slightly worn tyre), so it's definately going to be marginal. Ho hum.