norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Froome finished 33s down on Aru I think
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Chaves still in red.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Looking forward to seeing Froome fetching bottles for Nic Roche in the coming days.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Cousin seems to have been taken out by moto? Not another time. Over a hundred miles in a breakaway and touch a moto's wheel in the last few hundred yards
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Cousin seems to have been taken out by moto? Not another time. Over a hundred miles in a breakaway and touch a moto's wheel in the last few hundred yards
    The moto looked a bit further back to me. I don't think it was to blame this time
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Didn't look like he got clipped by the Moto, looked like he was in the middle of the three riders and quite a way ahead of the bike so not possible I don't think. More likely a mechanical, dropped chain or something.

Froome looked shaky, only 20odd secs down on Quintana tho. Aru looked good, do wonder what people would have said if a Sky rider took off that fast though.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    So is Froome working off the post tour pies & beer or still knackered? I hope the former and we see him getting better as per last years Vuelta but not convinced.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Looking at replays I think he just lost his pedal for a second and almost fell off - moto stopped behind him. Not a good shot to see from though
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Looked like he clipped the wheel of the rider in front.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I think Sky knew he wasn't in top shape at the beginning of the race and they themselves are hoping he will come good in time for the TT, that's an unknown though so they have been keeping Roche up there as a fall back podium shout.
  • Got to see the final 10km thank goodness

Dramarama!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Interesting that none of the Sky riders dropped back to help Froome.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I don't think you know that Froomey has been on the "Post Tour Crit Races" cashing in on his Stardom around the houses.
    He might get GT fit in another week. ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    I think it was expected. He's basically winging it. They weren't going to go 'all or nothing' based on uncertain form. Plus promises were probably made - to Roche at least.
    I would point out that he lost about 25 seconds to Contador, Rodriguez and a couple of others on the first real mountain stage last year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Lindeman!! Great win. Good day for Dutch sport
  • Pfft! 3 pages for that? That was great fun. Maybe people actually had sh*t to do at work today
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Interesting that none of the Sky riders dropped back to help Froome.
    I think it was expected. He's basically winging it. They weren't going to go 'all or nothing' based on uncertain form. Plus promises were probably made - to Roche at least.
    I would point out that he lost about 25 seconds to Contador, Rodriguez and a couple of others on the first real mountain stage last year.

True. However he hadn't (for obvious reasons) been out riding every lucrative post-Tour crit going, and putting on a couple of kilos.

Be interesting to see how it plays out this year.
  • RichN95.

True. However he hadn't (for obvious reasons) been out riding every lucrative post-Tour crit going, and putting on a couple of kilos.

Last year he seemed to go on holiday to California.

I don't think he'll win, but he'll come back stronger in week two. The TT will still help him.

Last year he seemed to go on holiday to California.

I don't think he'll win, but he'll come back stronger in week two. The TT will still help him.

The TT will only help him if he has found his legs well and truly. He's lost a packet on a long TT before now.

And he has to deal with stage 11 first....
  • Pfft! 3 pages for that? That was great fun. Maybe people actually had sh*t to do at work today

But for the lovely breakaway, it was like pulling teeth.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Chaves is a bit of an unknown to me. Chances of him holding the jersey?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Who knows? He's young and we knew he could climb on his day. He's never done a decent TT, but then he's never really needed to. Can he go for three weeks? Who knows? But I think Dumoulin is just as interesting right now - a rider I really rate.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Who knows? He's young and we knew he could climb on his day. He's never done a decent TT, but then he's never really needed to. Can he go for three weeks? Who knows? But I think Dumoulin is just as interesting right now.

I'd love to see a new face win and let's face it, the Vuelta is the GT for this.

Just as long as it's not another Cobo.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I wouldn't bank on Froome's TT being much cop even if he's recovered. I'm sure he said after stage one of the Tour when questioned why he was a little off the pace that as there was very little TTing that he has hardly touched his TT bike all year. Where as a couple of years ago when he had a very good prologue he'd been training for TTs quite a bit.

I can't imagine between the end of the Tour and the start of the Vuelta that he has had a huge chance to train on his TT bike.

I think he may well struggle to stay in touch now but there aren't many tougher. We've seen him concede time before and then gradually ride himself back into form. To stand any chance he needs to come through that hideous stage 11 and limit his losses and then be in much better form for 3 very tough stages back to back on stages 14, 15, 16. Then it's the TT.

Tough ask if you ask me but he is a scrapper. Froome or no Froome it will be a great race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice work from my man Aru. New wonder boy Landa where you at? Going to find the mysterious Giro form at some point? Froome as expected, not a natural and needs to be made IP thin and have total team support. Good for Jumbo on the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
    • Nice work from my man Aru. New wonder boy Landa where you at? Going to find the mysterious Giro form at some point? Froome as expected, not a natural and needs to be made IP thin and have total team support. Good for Jumbo on the win.

FF I like your Froome/Sky posts they're as predictable in line of thought as the most ardesnt Froome/Sky fans :lol: Froome actually gained massive respect from pundits and Spanish fans at last years Vuelta digging himself out on climbs when he was obviously buggered and struggling in the early stages of the race.

Agree about Landa, very quiet.
    • inseine
      inseine Posts: 5,786
      Turning out to be a fascinating race. shame there so much Froome chatter when there's great stories elsewhere.
      Great battle between the three escapees and gutsy win by Lindeman. Chaves will be interesting over the next mountain stages and Dumoulin, what a star! Really happy to see Roche in the mix. A lot of work early on by Movistar for not much of a result.
      Really hard to call the result in two weeks time, bring it on!
    • Really interested to see how Aru goes from here after yesterday.
    • frenchfighter
      frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
      bettiniphoto_0220494_1_full_1-760x1140.jpg
      Contador is the Greatest