Garmin HRM intermittent connection

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited August 2015 in Road general
Had a problem recently with my Garmin HRM. When wearing it normally it initially detects the heart rate then stops until I twist the strap. I have two straps and HRMs both do the same. Used a friends Forerunner that also picks up in the same way drops out then comes back when twisting the strap. Also dampened the strap and used a conductive gel.
Does anyone know a possible fix? Both the strap and HRM are out of warranty.

Comments

• Replace it with a Polar strap. I have had nothing but trouble with Garmin straps that seem to not last very long. The Polar strap is much cheaper and at least as good. You might need to trim a little of the rubber from around the popper though to get it to fit
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    They last about a year.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Replace it with a Polar strap. I have had nothing but trouble with Garmin straps that seem to not last very long. The Polar strap is much cheaper and at least as good. You might need to trim a little of the rubber from around the popper though to get it to fit

+1

Garmin strap fail after 14 months - polar still going strong 25 months
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ahh, now that I didnt know. Thanks ill see about getting hold of one. Do the Polar ones seem to last better?
  • Yep - Keep the active part off the Garmin strap and use the Polar soft strap

Works a treat. Polar one is ~£10-12, Garmin strap only is £35-40 :shock:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Ahh, now that I didnt know. Thanks ill see about getting hold of one. Do the Polar ones seem to last better?

I'm still using Polar soft straps I've had for more than 5 years (at least).
  • I presume we are talking about the sift strap version.
    Since it is almost certain that the strap needs replacing - as a temporary quick fix cut the strap in 2 -in the middle of the press studs. Remove about a 5mm wide strip of strap so that when the sensor is clipped back on, joining the two pieces back together, the cut ends do not touch together.
    I have done this a couple of times, and it works as long as the sensor is ok and the strap is otherwise undamaged. They stop working because contamination of the strap effectively shorts out the pick up pads, and cutting the strap into two alleviates this.