The racing thread

jtomes1993
jtomes1993 Posts: 73
edited September 2015 in Cyclocross
Road racing has been going since March and always tends to tail off a bit at this time of year and I'm itching to get some cross racing done. Anyone else in the same boat?

Our winter series (Yorkshire) starts next weekend, anyone else looking forward to getting going?

Comments

• mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Yep, I've been doing a little bit of road racing and went on a cycling tour for a week this summer but nothing compares to a bit of cyclocross.

I'm doing a cx Mad Maddison in Mildenhall this Monday, a relay race with my dad who hasn't raced a bike in almost 30 years but after coming to my races for the last two years he fancies a go. We are not planning on doing too well but I'm really looking forward to it. I've got to take him out on Saturday to make sure he's confident with using brifters for the first time! Managed to pick up some flat pedals for him too, I don't fancy introducing him to everything in one go!!

The following week the season starts in Basildon, three big hills from what I can remember, anything but last will be good enough for me, a lot of the slower racers avoid it because the hills are a killer so it's a nice test to start the season.

Now I just have to get rid of this slight front fork judder, tightened the headset/fork, adjusted the brake pads but it just won't go. Planet-x froglegg(ish) cantilever brakes are a pain to set up, it will be mini-v's for me next week if this can't be fixed!
  • Ive been doing road racing for a few years now and again, and have finally got round to getting a cx bike. We have a week established league in Lincolnshire which starts at the end of September, so I'm working on the drills in the meantime. Really looking forward to it.
  • I did my first cross race about 7 years ago, always wanted to be a road racer though. Have raced road and crits for a good couple of years and I really enjoy them and do alright occasionally but I still prefer cross despite having only finished in the top half once!

Although usually by November I start thinking about the start of the road season again..
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    Well the first 'race' was fun but I now know I'm definitely not ready for the cross season!
    We ended up 19th out of 24 teams but seeing as my dad bought his bike 2 days before, hasn't done anything like that in years and struggled getting up the slippy, muddy hills in his running trainers I was just glad we didn't come dead last. The first lap was a bit more hectic than usual, there was a lot of pent up cx frustration there and after standing about in the rain we just wanted to get going. The winners were a pair from the Lincolnshire league actually, Spalding cc.