Which disc braked Giant Defy?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to buy a new road bike in the next few days, and my LBS have got 20% off the entire 2015 Giant range, looking to spend £1500 max but preferably less.

I was initially thinking about the 2016 Defy 1 Disc - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.1.disc/24968/90516/

But the Defy Advanced 1, 2, and 3 caught my eye when I was browsing, took the Advanced 3 for a spin and initial impressions were good!

For £1250 all in including a bike fit they'll swap all the 105 parts over from the Advanced 2 to replace the Tiagra on the 3, or for just over £1300 I can have the 1 with Ultegra, decisions, decisions...

I love the colour of the 3, so that with 105 would be really nice, but would the Ultegra on the 1 be a big upgrade?

Links for reference :-

Advanced 3 - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.3/19188/77292/

Advanced 2 - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.2/19188/77291/

Advanced 1 - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/19188/77290/

Comments

• for that money why not pro 2
    new 105 is excellent. more expensive / valuable saddle - much better wheels on pro. lighter bit and bobs, higher frameset...
  • broona
    for that money why not pro 2
    new 105 is excellent. more expensive / valuable saddle - much better wheels on pro. lighter bit and bobs, higher frameset...

Because I was really only looking to spend £1000 but then I saw the Advanced...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217

If you prefer the colour of the Advanced 3 and they will swop the groupset over for you then go with that. The 11sp 105 will be fine, the difference between the 105 and Ultegra is weight and aesthetics, bear in mind that the crankset on the Advanced 2 is the RS500 and not the 105 if that matters to you.
  • broona

If you prefer the colour of the Advanced 3 and they will swop the groupset over for you then go with that. The 11sp 105 will be fine, the difference between the 105 and Ultegra is weight and aesthetics, bear in mind that the crankset on the Advanced 2 is the RS500 and not the 105 if that matters to you.

Is there much difference between RS500 and 105 apart from looks and 50g or so? If it's just as capable as the 105 that'll do me.

Although I am thinking about the Pro 2 now, lol!
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I have the Pro 1 and a friend the pro2. I also run 105 5800 on my disc brake commuter with bb7s? There is little if any discernible difference in shifting and ergonomics between Ultrega and 105. I do think the hydraulics are a step above bb7's but not everyone agrees. The spyres kind of fell in between the 2 when I had a ride on his bike. More progressive, less grabby. But that can be about set up.
    I absolutely love mine and heartedly recommend the bike. There is also little discernible difference in the ride of the pro and the advanced. Great wheels on the pro but I upgraded to Hunt 4 seasons for lightness and in anticipation of riding up mountains.
  • broona
    So...

I can get the Advanced 3 with full Tiagra for £950 or it's another £300 for them to swap the kit from the Advanced 2 over at £1250 (they don't have the Advanced 2 in my size), the Ultegra equipped Advanced 1 for £1320 or possibly the Advanced Pro 2 (thanks gaffer, lol!) with 105 for £1500 which I could 'possibly' push to! What would you do???
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    £300 would get you 105 5800 or SRAM Rival. Get the 3 for £950, swap the kit over yourself and then sell off the Tiagra stuff.

Just don't forget to check the rest of the components to see if any others get better higher up the range.
  • broona
    £300 would get you 105 5800 or SRAM Rival. Get the 3 for £950, swap the kit over yourself and then sell off the Tiagra stuff.

Just don't forget to check the rest of the components to see if any others get better higher up the range.

Someone made the decision for me and bought the last medium Advanced 3, so I think the Advanced 1 with Ultegra is the sensible way forward now!
  • tjm160
    tjm160 Posts: 35
    I'm sure you won't regret buying the Advanced 1, I absolutely love mine;

IMG_5606.jpg

Some friends have slated the colouring for being hard to keep clean. However, to me it looks great, stands out far better than darker colours and hardly takes a few mins to run a sponge and hose over every few rides.
    Tim
  • Any one you like. Ride it like you stole it and do the upgrades as the stuff wears out.