Shoes

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited August 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm about to buy a new set of shoes and will be racing my first cross season, starting next month…. are ratchet style closures ok for running in? Apparently the majority of courses in the local league will require lots of dismounts and running. Are the ratchet systems up to this or should I just stick to trusty velcro?

Thanks.
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm about to buy a new set of shoes and will be racing my first cross season, starting next month…. are ratchet style closures ok for running in? Apparently the majority of courses in the local league will require lots of dismounts and running. Are the ratchet systems up to this or should I just stick to trusty velcro?

Thanks.
    Ratchets are way better than velcro when things get wet and sticky; I've heard several tales of people with velcro-only closures getting stuck in mud and losing a shoe.

Make sure you get shoes that will take toe studs (though you might not want to fit them until the ground softens a bit). Football studs are fine.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580

Thanks.
    Ratchets are way better than velcro when things get wet and sticky; I've heard several tales of people with velcro-only closures getting stuck in mud and losing a shoe.

Make sure you get shoes that will take toe studs (though you might not want to fit them until the ground softens a bit). Football studs are fine.

Great stuff, thanks for the response and info.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”