Struggling to decide on a new bike

5parky
5parky Posts: 49
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I've decided to purchase a new road bike and have a budget of £2k but I'm struggling to decide on a model, a few have caught my eye such as 2016 Focus Cayo Integra and Rose (they also fit in with my current cycling wears colour). I'm going to stay away from such brands like Specialized and Trek because I've not been keen on their after-sales support.

My current Road ride is a 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite

I've not decided whether to switch to disc brakes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    It's hard to advice with such limited info.

Do you want aero, endurance, ultralight? A lot involves what kind of riding you'll do more than just the budget.

Also frame material, components, disk brake etc etc you gotta first determine the conditions and style of riding you'll be doing.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Indeed more info would help although I'm puzzled as to why you would base your choice of a new £2K bike on the fact that it's colour scheme matches your current riding kit.

Let's be realistic - the value of your current kit will only be a fraction of the new bike.

Much better to choose a bike that meets your needs as mentioned above and then worry about whether you might have to change your kit to match the colour scheme of the new bike. However IMHO it matters little if there is a clash of colour schemes - but that's just me.

My advice would be to have a prowl round any local bike shops to see what's available - particularly as they will be anxious to shift 2015 stock in advance of the new 2016 models being launched. You will probably be able to pick up something like a £3000 2015 bike for your budget

For example Wheelbase are offering a 2015 Cannondale Super Six Evo Ultegra Di2 for £2100 (£100 off RRP)

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes-frames/bikes/road-bikes/cannondale-supersix-evo-carbon-ultegra-di2-2015.html?___SID=U
  • 5parky
    5parky Posts: 49
    Ok, I'd consider myself a casual rider, a few of us go out a couple of times a week on roads and do anything from 30 to 50 miles. I thought while I'm still enjoying cycling and young enough I'd like to get something lighter that's going to last me a good few years and may well be the last bike I purchase. I'm hoping to do some full day cycling tours next year.

I know I'd like Carbon, but unsure whether to go for caliper or disc and still contemplating 105, Ultegra or SRAM Force. Most of the bikes in the £2k range seem to offer similar specs with the details coming down to wheels, hollow spindle, etc. The lighter the better but I'm no hardcore but I don't want a bright green paintjob, hence the Cayo 2016, Rose Black/White combinations.

I'm not sure I want a mail order item either, so being able to view the product first is important, maybe I'll see what's at the NEC in September and make a call there since so many outlets in my area hold little stock.
  • mawashi
    mawashi Posts: 48
    If you don't already have an idea of what kind of bike you'll want, it's going to be a bit tough.

If you want to make this purchase last, you might want to look at bikes with lifetime warranty for the original owner.

You have mentioned "light" but what is light to you... 7kg 6+kg? Also if you are going to do longer rides, you might want to consider endurance road bikes.

As for disk brakes, unless you do quite a few fast descents and ride in the rain often, they might be a bit much, esp if your aim is light.

Anyway this is a decent list of bikes within your price range
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-2000-41465/
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}