Newbie, first proper mtb advice

Beefybonus
Beefybonus Posts: 6
edited September 2015 in MTB beginners
Hello there.

I'm new to this mtb lark, I'm looking for some advice about my first proper mtb.

I'm looking to ease into some simple trails as well.as use it for my daily commute, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ideally I've been looking for something around the 500 - 600 quid mark and pretty much straight away liked the look of the voodoo bizango, I also liked the look of the vitus sentier which was a little over my price range but I would have stretched if need be, as it is neither of those are available on the cycle scheme I'm using to buy through so they're out.

My 2 current choices are, btwin rockrider 560 which looks to be pretty good value at 400 quid, for a sub 13kg bike with deore components and rockshox air fork, the only down side I see is the avid disc brakes which don't seem to have great reviews.

Bike 2 is from fuji bikes, I can't find out much about them and there's barely any reviews for the bike, a nevada 1.1 29er 2015 disc, spec not much difference from the btwin, but it does only have a suntour coil fork, and weighs in at 14.3 kgs so about 2 kilos heavier it's discounted from 750 to 565 in Evans cycles too.
http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/nevada-29-11

So I'm leaning towards the 29er because bigger is always better right... but am I being daft to overlook the spec of rockrider for that price?

Please help me decide or suggest some other options, the scheme opens on Sept 1st so I've got just under a week to decide.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your link doesn't work, bigger isn't always better, but the RR is. Especially at the price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks, I thought that too, but really liked look and feel of the fuji when I saw it in store, not seen the RR yet.

I'm not envisaging doing any really technical trails, and my understanding is that the 29er will make for a smoother ride, and the bigger wheels albeit more sluggish when starting to pedal, should keep more momentum when I actually get moving.

Try this link. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/nevada-11-disc-2015-29er-mountain-bike-ec072764&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwjhq-bU-cfHAhVFndsKHcVfDpQ&usg=AFQjCNG_5RDY1ugRMkR1HKvTRpzNQemA7A&sig2=A5RkBT62m8iN2DSy1AFsew
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I did find it, was just telling you your link doesn't work.

It's still overpriced at the sale price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks Cooldad, I assumed you had, just thought it would be easier for anyone else haha

I've got a quote on the RR 560, last one they had in size L which was just right, out of curiosity what do you think about the RR Big 8?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    As someone who jumped on the back of the 29er bandwagon to get his "first proper MTB", I'd say get the Rockrider. It could be the bike I bought (ironically, a Rockrider Big RR 5.3) but whilst it is great on family days out and manageable on places like Llandegla, I'm often wishing I'd just stuck with a 26 inch bike. When I get on my wife's (Rockrider 520) it just feels more comfortable, reassuring, less likely to chuck me off. And I feel lower down, which is also nice.

Get the 560. It's a bargain - and as its your first (and you don't know the impact of the difference between the two shocks you've listed) I can guarantee you won't know whether the Avid brakes are any good or not. And if they are really terrible, for £32 you can buy a set of Shimano brakes and stick them on instead.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Thanks, I'm 99% certain I'll be going with the RR, just going to pop into my local bike shop to see if they have anything better but I doubt they will.
  • It's been a while, but I've finally got my c2w certificate, called decathlon only to be told that they sold the RR 560 that was reserved for me, despite the fact that I offered to put down a deposit on it to ensure they kept it, only to be told there was no need as they'd got my name on it and it wouldn't be a problem. That was the last one they had in stock and they can't get another from anywhere else, so I may have expressed my 'disappointment' at this with some choice words.

The manager called me back 20 minutes later and gave me 2 options either go for the RR540 for 350 and some accessories or they'd do me a deal on a Rafal 740, currently on sale at 560 quid, but he'd let me have it for 500.

So what do you think to the Rafal 740, should I be cheeky and try to get a little more off or is it a bargain at 500, apparently it'll come with the upgraded mavic crossrides as they borrowed the rims off this frame for another customer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £500 it's a steal, rip his arm off!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.