Cx70 brakes with old shimano 5510 levers

No_beard
No_beard Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Cyclocross
I know that shimano has changed their brake cable pull but I don know whether it has increased or decreased with the advent of super slr levers. I am building a cross bike on the cheap and am trying to use some old 5510 levers that I already had with recently purchased shimano cx70 cantilever brakes. I have very little room between my rear hanger and the brake yolk so need to find out how the cable will pull. If anyone has any experience, knowledge, or just speculation regarding shimano cable pull, I would like to know before I devote too many hours to tuning my cantis.
Thanks

Comments

• JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I know that shimano has changed their brake cable pull but I don know whether it has increased or decreased with the advent of super slr levers. I am building a cross bike on the cheap and am trying to use some old 5510 levers that I already had with recently purchased shimano cx70 cantilever brakes. I have very little room between my rear hanger and the brake yolk so need to find out how the cable will pull. If anyone has any experience, knowledge, or just speculation regarding shimano cable pull, I would like to know before I devote too many hours to tuning my cantis.
    Thanks

Can't answer your question, but can offer an alternative: mini v-brakes (like the tektro's). In my opinion thy offer better braking power and need less pull (80mm brake arms), what makes them suitable for most levers.
  • I found this type of brake is much better when you don't have much room to fit the cable gubbins below the cable stop, as the straddle cable can be set very low down over the tyre. I have used them for years with 5510 levers without any problems.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCPXFRBO/planet-x-frogs-bollox-cantilever-brakeset
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The newer levers used increased cable-pull, so will work fine with your cantis - to compensate you could use a slightly longer straddle-wire. Gimme the Shimanos over the Euro-X clones from P-X and old-style post-mount pads - there's no orbital adjustment of the pad and the only way to make them squeal-less is to bend them with a big spanner
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..