Fizik saddke Q

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited August 2015 in Road general
I'm looking to buy a Fizik saddle as the Spesh Toupe Pro isn't quite doing it for me.

The Fizik website says I'm a 'snake' so need to consider this type of saddle. My question is that with the Specialized saddle, i went for the 155mm wide saddle as this is what my sit bones measured however the Fizik saddles don't have a option on the width and seems to be 1 size - would this be a issue with getting comfortable with it?

Anyone else been in a similar position or have good reviews about Fizik saddles?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi mate,

I have tried so many saddles and gone via sit bone sizings and everything…my sit bone "measurement" suggests a Fizik Antares or Aliante….and they were so painful…caused sores etc..never happy after 50miles or so…. against the mould I plumbed for a Kurve snake (old shape/model from Merlin) , best saddle I ve had for years… so ignore the sit bone thing in my opinion..try a few if you can.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I have recently tried a fizik airone as the shop i loand it from said if i can touch my toes thats what i need.

Well on a 40 mile ride the ladt 10 were total agony, to the point of me almost getting off to push!

Went to another shop who measured me and i went for a 143mm spec romin evo gel.

Well, that at the mo doesnt feel hugely comfortable but i am yet to get a decent ride over 25 miles on it.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    I have recently tried a fizik airone as the shop i loand it from said if i can touch my toes thats what i need.

Well on a 40 mile ride the ladt 10 were total agony, to the point of me almost getting off to push!

Went to another shop who measured me and i went for a 143mm spec romin evo gel.

Well, that at the mo doesnt feel hugely comfortable but i am yet to get a decent ride over 25 miles on it.

you should try shoving a cushion in your bib shorts
  • From what I have read saddle advice, whilst often well intentioned, is pretty difficult to rely on unless you happen to know that the person giving it has the same ar5e as you!

Like you I have followed the Fizik 'spine concept' approach which said Antares (I think) which was ok, then the Specialized sit bone width approach which suggested Romin Evo in 155mm. This was also pretty good but didn't feel like the holy grail....

So I recently purchased a Fizik Arione, just to try as they seem so popular. I think they look a little odd to be honest, but having ridden on it for a few weeks I think I am starting to like it. The slightly longer length and flat profile seems to enable me to move position slightly during a ride to change the contact points a little which seems to be working ok.

Another observation is that the previous two saddles had a central channel to relieve pressure, but I often wondered if this actually increases pressure on the sit bones a little, and I have to say that with the Arione I do feel pressure in the area where that channel is on the others, but I seem to feel less pressure on the sit bones which is the area that I found got uncomfortable.

As said already, trial and error to find something that works seems a sensible approach, but I wouldn't be against trying something that goes against the manufacturers guide.
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Tried the Arione, Aliante and Antares. My sit bones should see me on an Arione but it was hell after 30 miles, Antares was just hard and painful, the aliante was comfy but rubbed my thighs, chunky.

Now using a Fabric Scoop Flat and it's amazing, set dead level and it's great, gets comfier if you go faster. Longest ride is 141 miles and I felt ok which says it all really...
  • My LBC had demo saddles for the aliante, antares and arione, a horrible purple colour so no one would nick them. I went for the antares in the end. Despite being ok when riding a short trial ride I found it was quite uncomfortable on longer rides. This was completely fixed by a pro bike fit and a little lowering of the saddle.

I've now also done a fair few miles on a hire bike in Gran Canaria with an arione and which is equally comfy but I actually prefer it a little. I tend to move around a fair bit forward and back on the saddle and find the flat profile works a little better. I can't get anywhere near to touching my toes because of tight hamstrings but am told I have a flexible spine. In reality I think there is a fair bit of marketing guff about the flexibility thing.