Derailleur upgrade

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need a shadow plus (10) mech of the same length cage.

Although just fit a chain stay protector and be done. Works for me.
  • riki652
    riki652 Posts: 39
    You need a shadow plus (10) mech of the same length cage.

Although just fit a chain stay protector and be done. Works for me.
    Its not the dirt on the bike that annoys me but shifting on bumpy terrain sometimes skips a gear because the chain is jumping around hard.
  • Chunkers1980
    I didn't mean for dirt, I meant for noise.

Never found that problem with my non-shadow XTR setup.

Is it skipping at the front or back?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never found that to be a problem with any mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So possible incorrect indexing, chain too long, or using small/small over bumpy stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • riki652
    riki652 Posts: 39
    Sometimes the front gears skip
  • Chunkers1980
    so sort the front out rather than the rear. Plus mech stop most slap but make gears a little more clunky and don't do a great deal for front retention on its own.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    so sort the front out rather than the rear. Plus mech stop most slap but make gears a little more clunky and don't do a great deal for front retention on its own.

I'd disagree, makes a fairly big difference in practice. The way my old bike used to drop off the larger front ring over really rough stuff stopped completely with a clutch mech. Was more down to an older suspension design than anything else.
  • Chunkers1980
    If it dropped off the larger front ring then, you had a front mech then? That would have been the device that did the 'retention'.

When I say doesn't do a great deal on its own I mean it's more of a pronged approach in that you have the plus, a NW, some type of guide and a bash for the belt and braces approach.

But personally never had a problem with a correctly set front mech. But I'm not that hardcore.